« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2019, 9:06 pm »

On trailer

« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2019, 9:02 pm »

After

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2019, 9:01 pm »

Before

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2019, 8:59 pm »

Hi Ross, I would like to take you up on your offer of a bit of training and a critique of my beast. I have only used it on grass prior to undertaking a major rebuild of the hull when I went replace the skirts that were totally worn out. At this point I found major holes had been fixed with chicken wire and hand fulls of chopped strand f/g. I have made it solid but not pretty by laying up new hull skin on two pack expanded foam - I just hope I have not added too much weight. I’ll try and send you a before and after if I can figure out how to upload pics to the site.
Cheers
Neal

« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2019, 10:54 pm »

Hell Neal, 

BBV3 is a very good craft - not the most efficient,  but very tough with good handling and fair speed. I sold my Sev and kept the BBV as it was more suitable for my activities.  The Sev is a far better marine craft but not when you have fishing stakes, rocks and wartime debris on your patch!

Before going to sea it is absolutely essential that you take basic precautions regarding marinisation, protecting the electrics and getting some basic training. You also need a vhf radio and obviously lifejacket etc etc.

The issue is that we have to use industrial engines and equipment in a very harsh marine environment with flying abrasive ( sand ) and corrosive spray ( salt water ).  It absolutely destroys engines and electrics and a hovercraft is incredibly vulnerable if it has a failure. Our engines were never intended to run in a safety critical environment or in these conditions.   I have seen new engines reduced to an anchor weight in less than a year after operation without preparation or post operation wash and anti corrosion spray. It isn't a 5 minute job but your time on cushion will be brief if you do't go through the process. Worse, you may - if lucky - get a free trip to shore with the RNLI.  It really is that important.

As a basic test, run the engine at tickover and empty a full bucket of water over the engine cowling and lift/thrust air intakes.  If it misses or stops ( ....   or disintegrates because of water ingestion ) then it isn't correctly prepared for sea operation.   Obviously this needs common sense or there will be a an expensive noise ... and silence, but I can turn the hose on my engines and wash down while running and they won't miss a beat.

If you would like to bring the craft over to North Somerset before you go to sea,  I would be happy to give it the 'evil eye'  ( as an amateur - not a formal inspection ) and go thro. some of the basic stuff. I might be able to arrange for a bit of basic handling training at the same time, but our training area seems out of bounds at present although I can ask.  If anyone else wants to, perhaps we could have a club training day if I can get a slot?

Happy to help if I can.

Ross

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2019, 8:43 pm »

Contact Gary Hansford based in Plymouth knows the River Tamar well
I know hope cove and salcombe well from my boating days and would not go out from in hovercraft given next weeks forecast
Also Ross Floyd has Bbv just south of Bristol will give you help and info
Rgds Dean

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2019, 4:47 pm »

Welcome.

I used to live in Warminster and spent around half of my life living in the Wylye valley.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2019, 2:27 pm »

Welcome Neal, If you hover over "about" on the forum at the top, a number of drop down articles will help you get up to speed on most things hovering, and cruising.
Like most "strange hobbies" this takes a little work to learn the whats to do (and NOT to do)  ::)
Always good to have new chaps, and there is a huge amount on here of past cruising events,
and its good to peruse whilst also watching average TV.
Marinising the electrics is (most definitely) THE most important aspect to get right before venturing into the salty stuff.
BRINE is extensively trained to seek and destroy anything that is not "marinised".
Articles on this available when you hunt around the forum,
Good luck.
PS FUN is there for the taking, just make sure its on YOUR terms! ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2019, 1:27 pm »

Welcome to the group, those BBV's are a tough strong craft.
i recently ask one of our local harbour masters about the harbour speed limit,, was told 5knt but told not to do it as I'd get run over by everything else coming in :) :)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2019, 1:33 pm by Philip »

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2019, 7:32 am »

Hi Ross,I am new to the hovering scene - I have just completed a rebuild of a BBV3 and am based in Warminster. I have no experience whatsoever but I am interested in the idea of cruising and would like to join in with zany events in the SW and get hints and tips along the way. I am taking it down to Hope Cove near Salcombe the last week of October for its maiden voyage since the rebuild. It’s a nice smooth beach and shallow waster that is relatively sheltered if it is an offshore wind (here’s hoping for my week away). Beyond that I have no idea of any other sites to use it in the SW so any pointers would be gratefully received. I did ask the Salcombe Harbour Master if I could launch there an explore the creeks upstream but I got a very firm no!Cheers
Neal Wreford

« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2019, 10:37 pm »

From the responses it seems that the Bristol Channel club presence is down to one craft with another on the Severn and two supporting members.  What happened to all those craft parked up at Sharpness and on the River Avon for the charity run.
 :-[ :-[ :-[

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2019, 8:44 pm »

Hi Jon
Karen and I haven’t met you yet.
But hopefully when you are back on top we will meet and have a natter and go hovering.
All the very best

Ronnie and Karen

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2019, 8:10 pm »

From us too Jon ! Ross 'n Gill

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2019, 7:06 pm »

All the best Jon

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2019, 3:02 pm »

Sorry to hear that Jon. Precarious is good health.
At 70 it gets even more difficult.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT