« Reply #66 on: Apr 28, 2020, 11:02 am »

Was that the closed hostel near the bridge northern shore?  :'(

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #65 on: Apr 26, 2020, 9:33 pm »

Thanks Ian!  Sorry only just seen this, forgot my password  :-\ .  Will definitely get in touch with Bryan about organising something out of Berkeley after lockdown.  Would be great to get on the Severn again.   :)

That would be cool. I'll meet you there - quicker for me to come down the river rather than all the way round by road.I haven't been down Sharpness way since before Christmas - last time I was down I discovered that the Old Ferry at Beachely was shut down  - what a disaster!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #64 on: Apr 26, 2020, 5:14 pm »

You'll be welcome to launch from my place (upper Severn) although it might be a long way round. I'm out solo quite frequently although occasionally someone joins me. If you had a word with Bryan I reckon he would organise a launch from Berkeley - I'll come down the river and meet you there.

The other person you should hassle is Gaz, there's a number of decent launch places into the Tavy and Taymar for a great day out.

Ian

Thanks Ian!  Sorry only just seen this, forgot my password  :-\ .  Will definitely get in touch with Bryan about organising something out of Berkeley after lockdown.  Would be great to get on the Severn again.   :)

« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2019, 9:04 am »

TBH I dont think its feasible to navigate in anything other that a canoe! Above the tidal limit (which itself is a sizable weir) the river has become overgrown and there's two low bridges. I doubt a Surveyor sized craft could get under either.
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #62 on: Dec 29, 2019, 8:33 pm »

Ref " above tidal limit," are we not allowed to use this,  as its under river control rather than salt water estuary
Other opinions (mine included!) is that you have the historical (common law) right to navigate anywhere you like unless there is a specific criminal law prohibiting it (and, in almost 100% of cases, there isn't!).  Challenge whoever tells you otherwise by asking them to provide the statutory evidence.  In general, laws prohibit particular things - they don't need to permit something that was normally carried out (i.e walking along a street or navigating on water - both common rights).

« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2019, 2:11 pm »

Ref " above tidal limit," are we not allowed to use this,  as its under river control rather than salt water estuary?
Could we not "float/boat" to/from the tidal limit?
Yep- understood you are putting plenty work in already--- :-*

« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:58 am »

Friendly farmer wise I have been doing some work for a farmer with a place I could use to launch on to the Tamar  :o ... unfortunately its several miles upstream of the tidal limit so can't actually use it  :'( >:(

As the 1387 Sqn build is sucking up my spare time I haven't been actively researching possible alternatives to public access and established campsites. Fingers crossed this will be on the 2020 "got it done" list. Please note I did not say "to do" as these lists tend to stay "to do"

« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2019, 3:13 pm »

Gaz- do you have any thoughts/plans as per areas, campsites etc?
Have you stumbled across any "friendly farmers"?
I do find they are few (and far between)
Theres an expression,,,,,
"A touch of the Farmers" which rhyming slang translates as "SMILES"
Perhaps they've had a poor harvest?
There MUST be someone out there who isn't "too grumpy" to let us use their land to launch onto a deserted bit of "estwarrie"
translated as "salty inlet".
Gaz- if you're coming up light on the glamour, you need to upgrade this noble search ----

« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2019, 7:54 am »

Perhaps Mr Gaz would join me (as "moveable ballast) with just a hint of glamour?

Just say when, next best thing to flying your own hovercraft is being passenger in someone else's, Glamour? in my dreams  :'(

« Reply #57 on: Dec 26, 2019, 1:02 pm »

My craft has a new engine waiting to be fitted perhaps prior to my next cruise, as the present engine (and exhaust system) is a little past normal "use by date".
For once the "farty noise" is nothing to do with turkey stuffing.  ::)

Once the holiday stuff is over- the workshop heat will be powered up again, as nowadays my hands get so chapped.
Red and scaly skin is not a good look, (says Jane)

The South West IS a great area to cruise, (if quite a drive) so personally need "A few days" to make the journey worthwhile in the M/Home
Perhaps Mr Gaz would join me (as "moveable ballast) with just a hint of glamour?
Ive been culturing excess nasal hair to help filter out some of the famous TAMARRGH mud.
Im no fool-------

« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2019, 6:19 am »

I am normally always up for a cruise on the Tamar but for once can't having put a hold on flying to build the Surveyor for Liskeard ATC. My craft has sadly been neglected for over a year to allow me to concentrate on the new build, I know my craft needs new bearings in drive train so it won't be out on it till I have had chance to do that and some other essential maintenance.

All going well the surveyor should be ready March/April so I look forward to flying the surveyor and my craft late spring.

Rachael, do you have your craft down hear now or is it still stored elsewhere?

« Reply #55 on: Dec 23, 2019, 11:43 pm »

Weston needs a PLS2 and insurance to launch but that is a fairly basic qualification and I am sure we could package the entire thing into a weekend.   If we had enough interested people I could try and set something up. Alternatively Berkeley is qualification free and offers some superb cruising - but needs permission.

Weston is rather weather dependent and can be scrubbed on the beach before departure - also it is very much a sea trip so a bit of a challenge if you haven't tried it before.  Have a look at my videos on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2DBCykerb_S36-TDQHJLQ

« Reply #54 on: Dec 23, 2019, 4:29 pm »

Hi,

I’m living in Cornwall now but would be keen to attend any crusie in the Bristol area!

Thanks in advance  :)
Rachael Gifford

You'll be welcome to launch from my place (upper Severn) although it might be a long way round. I'm out solo quite frequently although occasionally someone joins me. If you had a word with Bryan I reckon he would organise a launch from Berkeley - I'll come down the river and meet you there.

The other person you should hassle is Gaz, there's a number of decent launch places into the Tavy and Taymar for a great day out.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #53 on: Dec 23, 2019, 12:53 pm »

Hi Ross

Karen and I would be interested in coming.
The only problem from my point of view
Is that there seems to be a requirement for qualifications at your location.

« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2019, 11:52 pm »

I will see about trying to arrange something next summer in the Bristol area but there was so little interest when I suggested an event that it hardly seems worth the effort to plan a big meeting if turnout will be minimal.  The River Avon cruise and that run to the wrecks were great fun but I don't know where all the craft have gone - I seem to be on my own down here and most of my trips out this year have been by RIB. :'(