« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2019, 7:57 pm »

Pretty sure the local hoverers launch from the slip in silloth, there's an inshore rescue that use the same slipway.

Parking looks a bit of a pain but there is a car park, probably best to arrive early morning to bag a spot for the trailer etc. 

Dave.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2019, 4:56 pm »

Some people are ungrateful - we've specially arranged for the tide to go in and out not just once a day but TWICE.  Don't know why we bothered if members can't make the effort to be there on at least one of those times  ;)   

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2019, 11:48 am »

Nothing is beyond the powers of the commiittie, except spulling.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2019, 11:38 am »

It strikes me, this tide thing is a pain in the bum.
I think the committee should do something about it.
What? Like King Canute 😁😁😁😁

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2019, 10:35 am »

It strikes me, this tide thing is a pain in the bum.
I think the committee should do something about it.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2019, 9:15 am »

Nice one Ronnie  8)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2019, 8:52 am »

I was up near the Solway Firth earlier this year but further inland, drove along the coast near Port Carlisle where it looked HC friendly. There were lay-bys on the (narrow) coastal road which looked usable with a gradual slope to the water. NOTE tides would have to be checked as parts of road flood at high water springs!
I'll try and find some photos 

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:18 pm »

Fantastic, I've always fancied the Solway - I'm jealous! John's right - pick the day. The best trips happen on short notice, when the conditions get right, go for it.

The weather's good here this weekend, but there's a 10m tide tomorrow so long trips are off the menu. I got out for a little run today, it's ok as long as you know what time the bore is coming and you know where the turbulence will be, and you don't break down. Breaking down on a bore tide is most likely a total loss of craft  :o
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2019, 11:25 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2019, 9:52 pm »

just come back from a few days away in Dumfries and Galloway.
Took Kermit along in the hope that we might get a bit of hovering in.
We stayed at Garlieston which has a slipway.
Here I am thinking it will be like the one on the caravan park on Loch Fyne.
This thing is really long, and steep is not the word.
The tide goes up and down by 7 metres.......7 metres, I couldn’t believe it.
Which just goes to show how little I know.......
Anyway, everyday day I went round and looked at this slipway. Tide in looks scary but doable.
Tide out it looks bloody terrifying.
When the tide is out there is a bit of a drop off then a channel of river water then a hump onto the mud.
I kept thinking about this. But there were thunder storms forecast every day, and they came ....boy did it rain.
There is a old slip onto the beach further along but it’s badly overgrown and very deeply rutted at the beach end.
I was quite concerned, due to my lack of experience diving off this slip......so we found a beach about 1/2: 3/4 of an hour along the coast.
Thursday was by far the best day Wind and weather wise. So with John’s words ringing in my ears “ pick your day, and you’ll be fine”
We launched and had a couple of local trips.
That Solway Firth looks a big....BIG place from a little hovercraft.