Ronnie L

Re: Trailer
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2019, 4:07 pm »
What alterations have you done Al?

Al

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2019, 4:17 pm »
Fitted solid sides that fold out like on your trailer.  The verticle pins were a right pain in the butt as the segments kept getting caught on them.  Yesterday it was a matter of unhook the front from the winch, start the lift engine then sit in and it slid off the back, then I just had to get out and give the rear a wee wiggle  :o  and job done  :) .  I also put some caravan leveling ramps under the rear wheels of my car which also lowered the rear of the trailer a couple more inches.

Ronnie L

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2019, 10:04 pm »
Well I bought a caravan chassis.....It was £110.
So as I understand it the challenge is that a caravan chassis does not a good hovercraft trailer make.
I have a few ideas, if any of you have any more Iíd be really grateful for input.
As I said I like a challenge.
When I first thought about hovering and went to the Liverpool meet.
I was explaining that I was thinking about a Sevtec. The reply was ďwhat the ( expletive) do you want one of them for. They are ugly square thingsĒ.....that was a challenge, and I didnít even own one.
But due to discussing things with notable others, I think the best choice for my needs was found.
And I have to say Iím happy with it.
Whether I will be with the caravan chassis trailer......Well that remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019, 10:19 pm by Ronnie L »

Nick Flint

« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2019, 9:28 am »
The old adage of "copy a good one"~~~~~~~~~
Slice the rear 400-800 mms off the rear, strengthen with cross member with bolt thro hinge, to copy JRs dropping rear.
This copies the drop down rear allowing the area to be then lifted to expose the integral lights, and align with rear plough plane.
Because of less ideal wheel position, you could add another fold down flap at the rear most edge?
Having a bag skirt you will not be troubled by fingers jamming in vertical guidance pole positions.
For the record I have used black 8 inch sewage pipes loosely plonked over the original 2 inch tubes to increase the diameter of the guidance,  decreasing "rolling over resistance". THEY do allow easier rollover. Other colours are available.
Good luck ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Philip

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:32 pm »
Here's NEaAPs current trailer which originated as a caravan. Although it's tandem axle its only rated for max 1200kg, most tandems are considerably more. I considered using one axle but as all brakes etc were in good condition so I just left it as It tows really well. I added side frames and a tail piece to the original chassis using light folded steel to match the original chassis, these are bolted in place. I then widened and moved the axles to suit. The fold down sides and the side plates are all aluminium so overall weight is reasonably low and all tucks in within the legal width (just). I was going to make it tilt bed but "tests show" that its not necessary as strangely enough most land slopes down to water ;) 

Eric Yeoman

« Reply #20 on: Jul 23, 2019, 11:49 pm »
Hi Philip, how do you unload when in a level car park possibly surrounded by cars? I have been given an old 18" un-tilting tandem boat tailer & have been wondering how to proceed.  thanks.

Philip

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2019, 12:07 am »
Hi Philip, how do you unload when in a level car park possibly surrounded by cars? I have been given an old 18" un-tilting tandem boat tailer & have been wondering how to proceed.  thanks.
I just start up the lift and push it off,

Ronnie L

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2019, 7:09 am »
Phillip
Trailer looks good.

The aluminium sides.
Iíve seen that corrugated ally before but canít think where.
What is it?

Cheers
Ronnie

Philip

« Reply #23 on: Jul 24, 2019, 7:58 am »
Phillip
Trailer looks good.

The aluminium sides.
Iíve seen that corrugated ally before but canít think where.
What is it?

Cheers
Ronnie
It's sometimes used as a protection strip on the walls of insulated truck trailers, just happened to have some around. ;) .

Ronnie L

« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2019, 3:07 pm »
Caravan chassis trailer is slowly taking shape.
Slowly, because if itís been a nice day, Iíve done nice things.
Not that building the trailer isnít enjoyable but that can be done on rainy days.
Anyway a couple of pics.

Philip

« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2019, 8:47 pm »
That looks really clean :)

Ronnie L

« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2019, 9:18 pm »
They do look clean at first