« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2019, 9:01 pm »

Mine went off when I left it in the craft and forgot about it. It rained over night and it inflated.
When the cap goes out of date I pull the toggle and leave it 24hrs the repack with a fresh refill.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2019, 6:58 am »

Re climbing into a life raft with beach ball in front of you
I once had a life jacket inflate accidentally, the pull cord bobbin caught on something!!
It was like wearing a neck brace!!

Yep. Been there. Removing the rear drain bungs from the hover. Caught the toggle on a side thrust bar and "whoosh".
Also had a jacket go off inadvertently after putting it in a large plastiic storage box I use to store my kit from hovering site to getting home to wash the immersion suit and kit etc. Suit must have been slightly damp. Box fitted on rear of my camper on bike rack. It was a hot day.
Just de hitching the hover when there was a bang above my head (yes, it did startle me) and the plastic box lid cracked as the jacket inflated. The heat had created damp steamy air and that I think softened the blotting paper auto inflate capsule. Jacket was 8 months old and the service kit was 29 quid for the new steel Co2 inflation bottle and the new capsule.
A BHC Marlin mk3 and Coastal Pro  Owner

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2019, 9:14 am »

Re climbing into a life raft with beach ball in front of you
I once had a life jacket inflate accidentally, the pull cord bobbin caught on something!!
It was like wearing a neck brace!!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:13 pm »

All our life jackets get a full 24 hour inflation test each year and a new automatic inflation pack on the due date with the old one being dry stored as an emergency refill.

Our local RNLI jacket inspector advised me that some types can start to delaminate on the folds after a few years and once this happens the jacket has a limited life remaining.  It is fairly obvious as the fold line looks well ... delaminated. It can be prevented by not refolding on the same folds after each inspection.

As an aside, if you are in the water it is useful to realise that you can partly deflate and inflate the bladder as necessary.  We did this on the sea survival course and it is much easier to get into a life raft with a partly inflated jacket than something like a beachball in front of you !  Only takes a few seconds to top it up after you are aboard.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2019, 5:47 pm »

Best make those grab handles easy to hold as cold hands don't work so well
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2019, 2:02 pm »

It makes sense to use the cushions, as an extra safety element which hopefully will never be needed.  I hadn't thought about the hand holds, I guess the upholsterer will be getting a call  ;) ;D

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2019, 12:11 pm »

Vortex do that with the cushions too and have handholds.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:59 am »

I decided its not worth the risk, so just bought a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I0BECP0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also having some seat cushions made for the TS3 out of high density foam, so they will also give something else to hang on to in an emergency

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2019, 11:35 am »

A trawler mad died near here last year when he fell from the boat, the jacket inflated but deflated before the crew court turn and get back to him. I usually do as said above, unfold the bladder and check for leaks. If in any doubt buy a new one. A member on here checked a number of jackets near expiry date an IIRC about 30% were faulty.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:15 am »

Unless it's been stored somewhere quite damp it's probably entirely functional; blow it up(compressed air or a tyre pump if you have it to keep the inside dry but I'm not sure it matters much) and leave it overnight, if it's still up in the morning it's fine. Check over the gas mechanism and bottle for rust, if no rust then you're good to go, deflate, fold it up and go hovering. The only bit which expires is the soluble capsule that fires the automatic inflation, unless it's going crusty from damp it is probably serviceable. If you really want to keep it orthodox buy a service kit and fit the new soluble capsule unit.

You are right though, for the cheaper lifejackets service kits seem to be 2/3rds of the price.

« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2019, 9:51 am »

Looking at my life jacket I see its out of date so due for a service/replacement.  Probably almost as cheap to buy new rather than service them.

I had a thought this morning about the length of time a self inflating life jacket will stay inflated.  will they stay inflated for a few hours / days or a matter of minutes?

I know the term life jacket should mean they will stay inflated for as long as needed, but curious as to the length of time they will stay inflated and also how does water/ air temperature affect their inflation?