« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2019, 6:57 am »

Although were based in the UK residents of Planet Earth (and beyond) are more than welcome here. Its free to view  the Open Forum section, register as a user and you can comment for free in the Open Forum too. Of course as a club we would love everyone to be a paid up member. HoverClub welcomes all and we hope you like what you see enough to become a paying member. Only paying members can benefit from full access to the members area and the wealth of information it holds.

Other Clubs are available but over there you have to pay before you try, we like to  encourage participation not put up barriers. Please make sure you send your buddies here to HCUK hoverclub.org.uk and not to similarly named  clubs in Great Britain.
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2019, 1:15 am »

That’s good to know.  I was thinking a follower had to be a member of the British club.  Cool.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2019, 7:52 am »

I’d like to invite you to join the Hoverclub of America Forum
I am sorry but I am not a fan of social media websites and forums in general but the one on this website is better than most.   
Of course the Hoverclub of America members are always welcome to visit and comment on this site...
This thread is on the open forum so anyone can read it & registered members can post comments, you don't need to be a paid member, were good like that  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2019, 8:39 am by Gaz »
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:05 pm »

Hi Mr Walker,  I am sorry but I am not a fan of social media websites and forums in general but the one on this website is better than most.   My interests are moving on into to other areas but I hope to at least perform a sea trial before finishing the development.  I will post a video on this site when this is completed.    Andrew

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2019, 1:37 am »

Ahaddow, what you are doing is intriguing.  I hope it’s ok that I took the liberty to share your video and your comments with the Hoverclub of America on Facebook.  If you are on Facebook, I’d like to invite you to join the Hoverclub of America Forum and keep the group updated on your progress.  Many thanks for sharing this.  Very interesting.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2019, 9:00 am »

Thanks for the positive comments.    The shaft of the petrol engine is fitted with a slightly modified electromagnetic clutch so that when disengaged it freely rotates so that it can be driven by the electric motor.   When the clutch is engaged  the engine rotates the motor so it then has the capability to be used as a generator, however at the moment  I do not have a regenerative type controller so that I cannot use it in this manner. ( A lot of the electrical bits I had already from other projects).   One of the main advantages of the electrical motor is as a get me to safety back up when hovercrafting alone as I have had some difficult experiences in the past.    Some years ago I made a kids hovercraft for Raider hovercraft which ran only on Life batteries and had a radio control option for remote control.   A short video of this  with my now deceased 90 year mother as pilot can be seen here.   
https://youtu.be/0SiZa2CE2u8    No she did not die due to crashing into the vegetable patch it was the altzeimers that finally got her. 

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2019, 7:52 pm »

Congratulations, I think that's the first truly practical electric hovercraft in the UK?  An impressive achievement.

I've looked at the  Lynch motors before, very suitable. Do you use a clutch to disengage the IC engine? Are you able to charge the batteries using excess power from the engine?

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2019, 7:43 pm »

Magnificent sir!  :o
Cant wait to hear more.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2019, 8:57 am »

This rather boring video   
https://youtu.be/qjvCZIfmlnY     shows a brief field test of my PHEV vanguard hovercraft.  The first run down the field is on batteries only.  The second run is with the petrol engine only.  The final part is simply showing the trailer loading using batteries only.   The craft has about 160kg  of payload in the front.   The electrics and batteries are stored behind and inside the bench seat at the back of the craft.   Running both motors together is the best way to operate the craft  as both motors are running comfortably within themselves with the capability for excess power.   There are a number of minor things needed to improve the appearance, charging and steering of the craft but I do not have much time to spend on this at the present.  Hopefully I will get down to some water for a test before the end of the summer. 
The electric motor is a refurbished LEM 200 running at about 60 volts and up to 266amps.  The battery pack is assembled from Lion batteries from a Mitsubishi Outlander giving it a 120amphour capacity and weighing in at about 80kg.   
The video is unlisted on youtube and I am not sure if this works on a forum so just let me know if you cannot see it.