« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2019, 6:48 pm »

Go foam composite, it should be a little stronger & more forgiving.

The front corner on my ply built shattered early in its life when I hit the ubiquitous "hard thing" when learning. I found that the ply construction is totally unforgiving of any impact, that includes landing on beaches which are seldom flat...

...and hitting those red or green painted metal floaty things :'(  that nautical types use for marking the navigable channels we hover chaps don't need ??? .
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2019, 1:48 pm »

Might be worth reading this thread on a foam core Superwedge build (same hull as the Viper - the plans can be downloaded free from HERE).  Not sure if the craft was ever completed (Gazza may know?)

Gaz will no doubt be along shortly as he built a ply Superwedge ten'ish+ years ago so can give you 1st hand experience info (he is building a foam core craft at present so has direct experience of both techniques).

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2019, 1:36 pm »

I'm  building a viper hovercraft which is marine ply and foam construction and they recommend  epoxy glue for the timber work .

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2019, 12:42 pm »

As above, I wouldn't bother with epoxy, no real gain. Also if you can manage wood then foam will not be a problem. What type of craft are you considering?

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2019, 12:06 pm »

Ive used Epoxy (yep its 500% more costly) !
Ive used Polyester (20% the price of Epoxy!!!!! ;) )
I recommend Polyester, with foam for strength, cost, ease of construction (and you don't get splinters from foam!) as per Johns advice.
WEST SYSTEM are perhaps the place to go for epoxy if preferred.
They've also got some super instructional downloadable leaflets, good advice for any GRP work including safety issues with GRP but especially Epoxy. But thats another story  ::) 
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2019, 9:47 am »

Are you sure you need epoxy glue?  Normally, a wooden hovercraft would be seam taped (fibreglass and laminating resin)?  Laminating epoxy resin is widely available (for a start on eBay - click HERE).  What type of hovercraft are you going to build?

I would suggest you might want to reconsider the use of wood.  By the time you pay for decent stuff (marine grade plywood) and buy epoxy resin (5x the price of polyester), coat the wood (it won't last anyway  ::) ) it becomes more economical to use composite foam construction (foam core with thin fibreglass skins).   Another advantage of composite construction is that no internal support framing is required - it's a monocoque box structure.and is extremely strong and light weight (and wood isn't).

« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2019, 9:00 am »

What is the best 2 part epoxy glue to use when building a wooden hovercraft and where would I buy 2 kilos?