« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2019, 10:21 am »

Ive no experience of vinyl wrapping. Hows it compare to spraying/ painting?

Our local sign guys dont recommend vinyl for salt water use unless you go really expensive. Considering he lives about 50m from the Atlantic I'm inclined to believe him :)

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2019, 9:56 am »

Eventually it shrinks exposing the edges, but it usually takes a few years before that happens,  vinyl life is about 7 years by which time it looks well tired.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2019, 9:49 am »

Ive no experience of vinyl wrapping. Hows it compare to spraying/ painting?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2019, 9:40 am »

;D
That craft cries out for the yellow peril bits to be vinyl wrapped black. It't look great then.

A BHC Marlin mk3 and Coastal Pro  Owner

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2019, 9:24 am »

THAT is well "Noddyed"! Gets NOTICED.  :o
Its a good craft and skirt, but I'm of the nautical persuasion and prefer the more blended into the nautical scene visuals. Only my preference- not "factual comment"!
Reminder to self- get some stripes done on Sparkle- it still looks like I lost interest at the undercoat stage!
Gee you have been in the wars --- ::)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2019, 2:33 pm »

If one can handle the 'abuse/banter) from FF owners about it looking like a Dalek (and I have a BHC Marlin MK III too), it is a good bito' kit. SevTecs aren't liked either. But, hansome is as hansome does my old dad used to say

I have done quite a few mods to it but that's just me.
Due to illness and four months in hospital last year it hasn't got flown as much as I'd have liked, but I flew it on 27th and 30th of December at Ulverston. Was good. Flew well.
Good value for money.
Keith Smallwood (Vortex bossman) always answers emails etc. A gentleman!
Hopefully out on Monday with the Mk1 that you flew I guess Nick (orange and white).

The one I call "Noddy" is for sale on eBay right now from Vortex direct. It's a MK II like mine.
If you see the craft you'll know why I call it Noddy!!!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2019, 12:47 pm »

I've given up on the gearshift type and gone to basic friction lever as the gearshift worked well but never precise enough. I always drop off the lift a little when on calm flat conditions.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2019, 11:48 am »

How is the Vortex Sirocco going?
You've had it a while, and maybe could we have a "running report" on how its settling
and how it compares with the Marlin would be useful for others?
When I viewed one (about three years ago? i posted my thoughts,
and it sure seemed well made.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2019, 8:02 am »

I disagree about idle and flat out beinh the only speeds used. I cruise with less than flat out on the lift engine and some of the operating slips on the south coast require more ' balance'.
Keith at Vortex uses the motorbike choke chrome lever with ball end. Works ok ( BBV used that style too ) but I found using the right tension on the pivot bolt tricky.
So now have a Shimano pushbike indexed gear change twist grip as BHC (ex FF) use on their twin engine Coastal Pros etc.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2019, 6:48 pm »

I've used stainless cycle spokes and for slightly heavier gauge, tig welding rods are available in stainless.

The TIG stainless welding rod has taken over from the humble piece of wire in several applications :) , useful stuff.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2019, 2:25 pm »

I've used stainless cycle spokes and for slightly heavier gauge, tig welding rods are available in stainless.
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2019, 10:52 pm »

No picture but what's wrong with a stainless bike spoke with a knob on the end mounted through the dash?  Doesn't need to be on the steering as the lift throttle only has two settings (idle and full lift).  An open wire is by far the simplest solution - nothing to break, jam or corrode and no fiddly glove-resistant controls or springs.  If you wanted to make it more complicated then an over-travel choke could be easily added (same as lawnmowers, etc.).

« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2019, 8:24 pm »

Anyone have any pictures of how they have connected up the throttle on their lift engine?
[/size][/color]
[/size]I am using a 19hp vertical for lift. [/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]I intend using a bicycle handlebar gear changer for the throttle.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Looking for ideas on how to connect the two.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size] Engine has governor removed[/color]