Nick Flint

Re: New member from Lydney
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2019, 2:14 pm »
Ronnie, your M/H looks ace. Especially like the transfers, (or decals????) and can you please let me know who/what did these for you as MY stripes are well scuffed up due in part to gate posts, (who needs those) and various resprayed aspects due to "rust".
I hope i don't have to pay someone to restripe, as my budget is well knocked up already.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Ronnie L

« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2019, 3:25 pm »
Nick
What I did was to look at the later models to see what might look better.
The stripe man scanned pictures of my camper in and made what I wanted fit the shape of the camper.
If you would like a set that are exactly the same, Iíll ask him if the pattern in still in his computer.
The most difficult thing is getting the old stripes off, and even more the old glue. It sticks like.....glue.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019, 3:45 pm by Ronnie L »

rossfloyd

« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2019, 6:32 pm »
Try meths to get the old adhesive off - our Land Rover dealer told me that one when I was trying to get the previous owner's blackout film off the Defender windows.

Al

« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2019, 6:37 pm »
Try meths to get the old adhesive off - our Land Rover dealer told me that one when I was trying to get the previous owner's blackout film off the Defender windows.

Hot air gun to remove the stickers & as Ross said methalated spirit, thinners (as long as its not painted with cellulose), acetone for the adhesive.

Eric Yeoman

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2019, 2:31 am »
Re; sticker glue removal.  Believe it or not, in 'Strailya,,we use Distilled Eucalyptus Oil,, :o ??? from the cold & flu section,, of a supermarket or chemist.  Works a treat.  Smells great & unblocks your nose by the time you're finished.  ;)

Ronnie L

« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2019, 7:12 am »
Iím in the vehicle trade, and Iím used to removing stripes etc.
Iíve tried all the methods mentioned except for Ericís.
These stripes were on another level.
I used hot air gun. You would expect with heat the glue would soften, then you could peel the stripe off....No.
As you try to peel, the stripe is brittle and just break up.
I used a caramel wheel turning slowly in the end, but the time it took to remove them was unbelievable.
Then buff the paintwork.
I was glad when I finished....really glad.

Al

« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2019, 10:00 am »
The VW decals & stripes of the 1980's & 90's used to be a right pain in the ar*e to remove as they were always very brittle.  Their removal was usually the apprentices job  ;)   ;D ;D