« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 9:06 pm »

To restrain we were thinking installing "seat belts" and a backet. However, we have no ideia of the movement the pilot can have in the backet.
Perhaps you need to spend some time doing some basic  research (try YouTube for hovercraft race videos and carefully watch what is going on in the craft)?  It's always a good idea with any product design to understand fully existing designs before trying to make improvements or advances.

The World Hovercraft Federation web site has downloadable specifications for race craft (HERE).

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 8:31 pm »

There is an organisation here in the UK that are responsible for and run all hovercraft racing for the UK. They are the HCGB. Unfortunately unless you are a paying member you can't go on their forum and ask questions.
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

InoCraft

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 8:16 pm »

Looking at pretty much every motorsport, except maybe motorbike racing, the vehicles they're racing have built in safety cages and the crew within that vehicle are strapped in securely.  Racing hovercraft could easily be designed around a safety cage, and if done correctly the hull would be stiffer so in theory probably handle so much better.  Even the pilot of the racing craft could be harnessed in enough to be able to move freely, but not enough to be outwith of the cage if it were to roll over. 

I suspect the main reason racing hovercraft haven't got safety cages is cost.  If they were introduced it would be an added expense or possibly make some craft unusable as they couldn't be easily converted to incorporate a safety cage.  The weight increase of a cage would be minimal if it were contructed of aluminium or carbon fibre

What is the average price for a racing hovercraft? So far, our project is around 6000£ (production price).

Also, were can we search for legislation? At least in Portugal, there's no information and the Portuguese Hovercraft Federation doesn't reply us.

InoCraft

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 8:12 pm »

One German chap lost his life, (by being crashed into) from memory in a "worlds race,"
when his lift fan broke during transition from water to land, so, lives CAN be saved.
"Unforseen circumstances" must be catered for though in any design changes (In My Humble Opinion)

What do you mean by that?

InoCraft

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 8:10 pm »

A lightweight roll cage is a good idea (I suggested it to the racing fraternity 12 years ago but it was met with disdain - for some reason risking your life seems to be part of the thrill!!.  Also useful would be a way to restrain (lightly to allow body movement for control) the pilot inside the roll cage to avoid ejection (most crashes result in the pilot being ejected - usually directly into the path of another high speed craft!

To restrain we were thinking installing "seat belts" and a backet. However, we have no ideia of the movement the pilot can have in the backet.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:00 am »

Looking at pretty much every motorsport, except maybe motorbike racing, the vehicles they're racing have built in safety cages and the crew within that vehicle are strapped in securely.  Racing hovercraft could easily be designed around a safety cage, and if done correctly the hull would be stiffer so in theory probably handle so much better.  Even the pilot of the racing craft could be harnessed in enough to be able to move freely, but not enough to be outwith of the cage if it were to roll over. 

I suspect the main reason racing hovercraft haven't got safety cages is cost.  If they were introduced it would be an added expense or possibly make some craft unusable as they couldn't be easily converted to incorporate a safety cage.  The weight increase of a cage would be minimal if it were contructed of aluminium or carbon fibre

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:22 am »

One German chap lost his life, (by being crashed into) from memory in a "worlds race,"
when his lift fan broke during transition from water to land, so, lives CAN be saved.
"Unforseen circumstances" must be catered for though in any design changes (In My Humble Opinion)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 9:34 pm »

A lightweight roll cage is a good idea (I suggested it to the racing fraternity 12 years ago but it was met with disdain - for some reason risking your life seems to be part of the thrill!!.  Also useful would be a way to restrain (lightly to allow body movement for control) the pilot inside the roll cage to avoid ejection (most crashes result in the pilot being ejected - usually directly into the path of another high speed craft!

InoCraft

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2019, 8:41 pm »

Hello Miguel, John is correct in that there is a huge amount of information in the club, on the forum, and contained in threads already discussed on this forum. It is perhaps a good idea, if YOU think up what YOU want to know, and searching on this forum for those things.
There is a search facility available.

Only YOU know what is missing from your knowledge! and then you can ask specific questions.
At the moment you are perhaps asking--- how do I make a car?
Hovercraft plans (that already work) are available in the club forum, and try also searching SEVTEC craft in the USA.
Its perhaps always good to know what already works, (and why) and use that to help you avoid failure.
I fear trying to design "a Racing craft that you can go cruising in" will NOT be possible, because those TWO extremes of operation are at OPPOSITE ends. No car yet designed can succeed in that, in my humble opinion!
You also have the added difficulty of "the language barrier".
I designed and built a hovercraft from a blank piece of paper.
It was extremely difficult, and I have been interested for over 60 years!
You can access this huge exercise by clicking on "build blogs, and typing "KingFisher"
THAT thread is over 70 pages alone!  :o

Please remember- you will have greater access if you join the club!
Its only £15!
Good luck, you have a fascinating project.
Kind Regards Nicholas

Good evening.

Thank you for your reply.
More progress was made since the last reply.
We opted to conceive only a performance version for racing.
We already have the specifications.
I will put them here in a few days.

We thought about an innovation. In various videos from YouTube we saw that in some crashes there is a potential for the driver getting injured if a Hovercraft runs over it. So, we are thinking about adapting a cage like Halo from the formula one cars.

For people with more experience with the crafts, is this a good ideia? Is it viable? Can it save a life?

Kind regards.

Ps: In my case, the language barrier is not a problem. At least with english!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 7:22 pm »

Hello Miguel, John is correct in that there is a huge amount of information in the club, on the forum, and contained in threads already discussed on this forum. It is perhaps a good idea, if YOU think up what YOU want to know, and searching on this forum for those things.
There is a search facility available.

Only YOU know what is missing from your knowledge! and then you can ask specific questions.
At the moment you are perhaps asking--- how do I make a car?
Hovercraft plans (that already work) are available in the club forum, and try also searching SEVTEC craft in the USA.
Its perhaps always good to know what already works, (and why) and use that to help you avoid failure.
I fear trying to design "a Racing craft that you can go cruising in" will NOT be possible, because those TWO extremes of operation are at OPPOSITE ends. No car yet designed can succeed in that, in my humble opinion!
You also have the added difficulty of "the language barrier".
I designed and built a hovercraft from a blank piece of paper.
It was extremely difficult, and I have been interested for over 60 years!
You can access this huge exercise by clicking on "build blogs, and typing "KingFisher"
THAT thread is over 70 pages alone!  :o

Please remember- you will have greater access if you join the club!
Its only £15!
Good luck, you have a fascinating project.
Kind Regards Nicholas 

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019, 3:08 pm by Nick Flint »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

InoCraft

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2019, 8:18 pm »

Hi Miguel,
We a have Hovercraft Design software on this site (HERE)  on this site that will get yo to a working design of the fundamentals very quickly.  There are belt drive system, prop performance and floatation calculators in the "About" menu at the top of the page that may also help.  Other than that you will need to provide some more information and detail of what your target performance is.

Thanks in advance for your answer. We may use it to confirm our calculation as it is a paid function.
Is there any more relevant information that we can learn from the club?

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 7:44 pm »

Hi Miguel,
We a have Hovercraft Design software on this site (HERE)  on this site that will get yo to a working design of the fundamentals very quickly.  There are belt drive system, prop performance and floatation calculators in the "About" menu at the top of the page that may also help.  Other than that you will need to provide some more information and detail of what your target performance is.

InoCraft

« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 7:35 pm »

Good evening.

My name is Miguel and I am from Portugal. I am taking Electomechanical engineering at Universidade da beira Interior, Covilhã, Portugal.
My Final project is to conceive from de ground a Hovercraft. Also, I have other students in my group, which is called "InoCraft".

About our hovercraft: The purpose of it is not only for "adrenaline" purposes (competition) but also for recreation. Also, it will be fully customizable (colour, engine (only 4 stroke) and so on).
However, we are with some difficulties with the calculations for the lift and thrust.
Is it possible to help us with our project?

Kind regards,
Miguel Catarino,
A member of InoCraft Team.

PS. If you have interest, you can reach us trough our facebook page and email.
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/InoCraft-409739986501764/
Email: ino.craft@outlook.com