« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2019, 3:10 pm »

There was a rather alarming item on "Fake Britain " last week which was a Head Torch with lithium batteries.
This woman had been wearing one when jogging at night, she got into her car and placed the torch on the passenger side front seat where the battery exploded sending out pieces of burning battery. Fortunately she was not injured.
The batteries turned out "Fake" the faker had used a reputable manufacturers name but they were a size that the manufacturer did not make!!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2019, 12:31 pm »

Dear "Nef"
WOW thats confidence!  :o
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2019, 8:41 am »

Not direct hover experience but I've run one in my racecar for the last 3 years.This one, in fact https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JMT-LITHIUM-ION-YTX14AH-FP-LIGHTWEIGHT-REPLACEMENT-BATTERY-FOR-YB14L-A2/372363432434?epid=2052102885&hash=item56b29711f2:g:LJwAAOSwmSZbQ2kI
Have nothing but great things to say about it. It's 900g instead of 5.5kg for the standard Varney Red Top racing battery (which is also more expensive). Lithiums can use all of their stored energy efficiently (rather than lead acids that can only use about 40%), so even though the stated capacity is less than half the Red Top, it's still plenty to see me through a weekend (no alternator on the racecar, so its a total loss system). CCA in practice is a lot better than stated (that little battery will happily start the s/c 4.0 litre V8 in my old Jag!)As for safety, they're no more dangerous than an lead acid (i.e don't short or overcharge them!). As demonstration of my confidence, the racecar battery is mounted 2mm under my testicles.

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2019, 2:53 pm »

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2019, 1:28 pm »

Thermal runaway can be a problem so if you are using Lithium batteries just make sure it’s a quality product. There are lots of safe lithium batteries out there.

I removed the back up battery from my boat and now carry a small and very light NOCO product.  It has saved me a few times when I drained my deep cycle battery working on engine issues. Fraction of the weight of carrying a lead acid cranking battery.

https://no.co/gb40

Also a back-up phone charger for safety.

Now, MH370 had skids of densely packed lithium ion mobile phone batteries in the belly, this is likely what caused the disaster.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2019, 9:19 am »

Not even as a jump starter? :'(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2019, 7:51 pm »

Lithium battery - AKA "a bomb". Seriously not recommended in a hovercraft!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2019, 1:42 pm »

Didn't Boeing have problems with battery fires in their 787 Dreamliner??!!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 am »

They do Lithium batteries for aircraft.
They are very powerful, very light and eye wateringly expensive.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 9:03 am »

Ive added an occasional "jump" one to my additional kit which Ive found- much better than you imagine, but perhaps not quite as good as they are marketed! ::)

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:52 pm »

For anyone interested there's a detailed article including tests etc on Lithium Batteries in APRIL'S Practical Boat Owner. BUT they are not recommended or designed as starter batteries only as "Leisure" type batteries!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2019, 11:01 pm by Warby »

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 6:28 pm »

F, for that price it's not worth doing. :o