« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:23 am »

Yep to all of that------but put in context---- ;)
1 The craft is short and narrow,
2 Two up so more affected by tipping moments
3 THAT mud is murderous. The Mersey is smeared with wall to wall EVOSTICK believe me. MY Otter was two and a half up and I could feel my skirt drag as I arrived at the same spot, and just before the 1.30 mins point, you can hear me rev UP - NOT to slow rearwards slew, but minimise the chance of bag tuck in and an involuntary close inspection of the mud/sand bank! Previously at this spot, my craft was left on a very steep upward slope (near the pub!). On return the mud had GLUED to the skirt so firmly, that I needed assistance to unstick. THIS has never happened to me before. I couldn't get out into the mud to shuffle the craft and unstick so ONLY a hovercrafter could approach and give me "The Royal Shove"
4 Having said all that---- our skirts are better IMHO but boy it is THE most testing environment for Hovering. NOT for the beginner.
At times (in a cross wind) I had to just give up, slow, and stop in line with travel- slowly hover up, spin around to where I wanted to head and go---->
5 My KingFisher was created with an "ability"! to roll into the turns, (BANKING) I called it. 8)
Fabulous when initiated by ME!
Less fabulous when initiated by skirt tuck in as per this case.
Im glad my roll stability is now firmly on MY side now- Thanks to the Otter ( similar skirts ARE available)! ;)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2019, 8:54 am »

;)

Going beyond the flippant, what we're commenting on is roll (side-side) and pitch (bow and stern up/down in opposite phase) motions.

One of the main jobs of a skirt is to provide pitch and roll stability - in the same way that car suspension does.  This often overlooked property is important if you want a safe a comfortable ride. At the 1:30 point we see the craft rolling and pitching quite badly - I'm not sure how this craft would cope with short chaotic chop that you often see around headlands when the tide is changing. I prefer a skirt that can automatically create huge righting moments to keep me out of the water without lots of manual weight shifting.

Interestingly, racing craft seem to actively seek out low roll stability. I presume this is because the pilots want to actively roll the craft in tight turns, quite the opposite of what's needed in a cruiser. So next time a racer tells you that your 'bag skirt' is rubbish, smile sweetly and know that he's erroneously assuming that 'race technology' automatically transfers to cruising - The truth is that it doesn't!!, 'race bred' is an urban myth  :o
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:20 am »

3... :-[

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 4:26 pm »

Thats two already! ;)

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 1:01 pm »

Loved the bouncy castle at 1:30  ;)
I wonder how many of us went back to look to look at 1 min 30?   ;D ;D

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 9:34 am »

Oh you ARE naughty---- ::)

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:57 pm »

Loved the bouncy castle at 1:30  ;)

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 pm »

Enjoyed that thanks!

« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 2:09 pm »

https://youtu.be/GVyWFs0ccNg

Please note this is a "family film" and as such I thought I would share with the club, but please bear in mind, its orientated towards
 "family " and may be a little pedestrian for some tastes!
NO drone was possible due to proximity of Liverpool airport.
I also ran out of hands--- ::)
 ;)

This is a compilation incorporating TWO Liverpool Sailing Club events, July and August 2018