« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 2:40 pm »

Part of the reason for the trip was to work out what the best way to over night camp in cooler weather. I have a 50mm self inflating mattress with a 3 season full width sleeping bag. There are the obligatory foam tiles on the floor over which I laid the noisy foil bivvy which was two layers, this helps reduce the abrasion effect on the air mattress from the grit and small stones as well as reducing heat transfer. The mattress is very comfortable, the only cold I felt was on my shoulders.
I forgot a pillow which is important for good sleep as is keeping feet and head warm. By far the biggest issue for me is getting twisted up in a sleeping bag, more so than slightly cold shoulders. I may end up zipping my two sleeping bags together as they are designed for.

Sleeping in a craft even as small as mine is much better than a tent IMO,  the explorer is in another league when it comes to comfort and space for overnight camping! The issue of over night condensation in my craft is manageable by using a bed sheet placed over the hood frame, the sheet absorbs the moisture well and stops drips.

The next camping trip should be loch Etive, hopefully soon .

I also had a chance to try the little wood gasification stove as seen on Ebay and Amazon, it worked very well despite wet wood and needing diesel to dry the wood out enough for it to do it's thing.

These hover camping trips are as good as it gets for me as they encompass so much more than the hovercraft piloting, which in itself is immensely de stressing (most of the time :o) ) Winter camping is worlds away from  summer camping but brings with it other images and experiences and with the right preparation should be very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019, 10:19 pm by Steve Holland »
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 2:01 pm »

Sounds freezing! :o
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 8:40 pm »

Sounds cool   :-\
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 3:33 pm »

I had an overnight camping trip with John on the shores of loch fine this weekend past. The pressure was high so fairly settled water and not too cold.
I went down Thursday evening, spent Friday pottering around the log house which included fixing the skirt front cushion in two places. The damage was probably caused by the last trip out which was rough!!
John arrived on Saturday and after adding more creature comforts to the explorer we set off south west in good conditions if a little chilly.
The vanguard was packed with sleeping gear, food, stove and insulation rolls etc I also took a foil bivvy bag as an under layer between the air mattress and floor foam.

We settled at Kilfinnan not long before dark, roofs were put up on the craft and a fire started.

After the obligatory staring in to the fire for a couple of hours we had something in to eat in the explorer restaurant and entertainment sweet, the film was excellent as was my fish pie !

There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!