« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 9:59 pm »

It doesn't matter now as I'm not going with the twin, I've dug deep into my pockets :o  and bought a new old stock Intek, so no need to alter the front screen. :)

I'm in danger of getting this craft built  by the spring :)   Only a few bits to get now, having a custom stainless steel exhaust made for the kohler is the most expensive item left not counting a trailer   

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 8:54 pm »

The front screen of the TS3 was invented on this trip

this day!.

The video might help you decide whether to put mesh in or not  ;) this was one of scariest incidents of my hover career, I was behind Bryan and he took a fan full of wave and stopped dead, I only just brought Surveyor round in time to avoid a bad incident. That's why you'll never see me dead astern of any craft - ever! Always a little to port or starboard.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2018, 9:07 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 9:03 pm »

Hi Al can you put some picture of it on here for us to see .  Tom

I haven't got any yet, as engine still in my shed and front screen screwed to decking so it doesn't get blown away.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 7:10 pm »

Hi Al can you put some picture of it on here for us to see .  Tom

« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 4:53 pm »

I've been pondering on ways around fitting the twin cylinder vanguard engine for lift on my TS3.  There is approximately 50 mm difference in the height of the twin and the single intek engine.  The twin is obviously a smoother running engine, weight difference is approx 7 kg, so not worth worrying about.

The problem with fitting the twin is that the front screen will not  fit because of the height difference.

There are several options around it, I could chop a hole in the front screen and then make up something to cover the engine  bits that are poking through.  I could make up a completely new front screen for it, which I quite fancy doing, but is time consuming and not really worth making a plug & mould for a one off.

Then this afternoon while pondering ways around it, it dawned on me to make up a plinth for the screen to fit on.  The front screen is bolted along the bottom flange through the hull.  So how would the best way be to make the plinth?  I could of course make it up out of glassfibre but again we're talking of making plugs etc, then I had a brain wave  ???   I could make up two horse shoe shaped hoops out of aluminium angle that follow the shape of the front screen and space them approximately 75 mm apart using stainless threaded bar through the bolt holes in the bottom of the screen, then all I would need to do is infill between the aluminium angles.  I thought that possibly a good infill material would be: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-SOFFIT-VENT-INSECT-FLY-BUG-MESH-ROLLS-Pest-Proof/151685590404?hash=item23512a6d84:m:mZH6Z6juV3MJTC51R-ughkg:rk:3:pf:0

This would allow more air to enter the lift fan duct, but my biggest worry is how much water would it allow through if I was hit by a freak wave?  Would it let enough water through the approximately 40 mm - 50 mm gap between the two aluminium angles to damage the lift fan?