« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2018, 7:56 am »

It possibly means bear or bear calf island. I'm a native Gaelic speaker but it's not a phrase I've come across before!

Pronounced something like  ill-en  Maah-gaw-na (you can't say the 'gh' sound in English. It sounds like someone clearing their throat!)
Sounds about right to me  in my southwest Irish, We find the same thing here, visitors have problems with gh and aslo our ath, Always fun when we hover through Athlone or when an American says they've been to Athenry
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 9:18 am by Philip »

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 2:28 am »

It's interesting. The internet gives you anything from bear island through Halloween island via good tomorrow island! I'm going with bear island since Calum is the only native Gealic speaker here - and I can believe that an ancient language might call an island "bear island". Since I visited the Gealic speaking areas in recent years it seems only polite to try and pronounce the place names, and I love the descriptive nature of the names. You can feel a connection with ancient person if you have the same name for a place.

It's interesting that these names live on via maps after people stopped needing to know them. We have the same issue on the Severn. I've come to realise that every turn, every rock must have had its name in years gone by.  So much is lost, when I rediscover something then I add it to open street mapping to preserve it, such as Rosemary Point or Madam pool, recently discovered by me but quickly entering into my vocabulary because I need to describe my trips on the river

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:36 pm »

It possibly means bear or bear calf island. I'm a native Gaelic speaker but it's not a phrase I've come across before!

Pronounced something like  ill-en  Maah-gaw-na (you can't say the 'gh' sound in English. It sounds like someone clearing their throat!)
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2018, 10:41 pm by Calum »

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:23 pm »

Eilean means island - pronounce "A" (as in letter) and "lan" (same as in "land").  Math is exactly the same as american english!.  No idea on the last bit though  :(
This site helps!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2018, 7:06 pm »

Now for today's little quiz! How is this name pronounced? Here's my go:

Eel-ee-an mah ghav-na

Which means good (something) island (maybe!!!)
I can do it but my accent would be a little off :) 

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 4:33 pm »

Now for today's little quiz! How is this name pronounced? Here's my go:

Eel-ee-an mah ghav-na

Which means good (something) island (maybe!!!)
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2018, 3:58 pm »

File Name: Eilean Math-ghamhna
File Submitted: November 26, 2018, 3:58:00 PM

Just to prove it is actually an island!<br>