Warby

Re: Motorhome
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2018, 8:10 am »
This all seems rather confusing!!
See. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
According to gov site if your license shows CAT B and you passed your test before 1st Jan 1997 you can drive a car and trailer of 8,250 Kg MAM (maximum aloud mass)
If your licence shows CAT BE and you passed your test before Jan 2013 you can drive a Vehicle of 3,500 with a trailer of any size!!! Am I missing something??
My licence shows CAT B and CAT BE (I am 70 +)
 Just checked vehicle categories  I can drive ( online with DVLA) and CAT BE states
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018, 8:46 am by Warby »

Al

« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2018, 8:44 am »
How I understand it, is that prior to 1997, we are are allowed to tow any size trailer with a vehicle as long as their total loaded weight doesn't exceed 8.25 ton.

After 1997 any vehicle with a trailer as long as total loaded weight is under 3.5 ton.

If there is any doubt about whether or not your allowed to tow a trailer with a certain vehicle then you should contact DVLA or take and pass a test to cover you.  The last thing anyone needs is to be involved in an accident and it comes to light that your licence didn't cover you, your suddenly uninsured, possible lawsuit against you and whatever else the law can chuck at you, and it wouldn't matter if the accident wasn't your fault.   It's not worth the risk   

Warby

« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2018, 8:56 am »
Al, with the "passed test before 1997 rule" and most of the club members appear to be over 38years of age there should be no problems towing trailers!!
See link in my previous post which enables anyone to check their entitlement

Al

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2018, 9:13 am »
Al, with the "passed test before 1997 rule" and most of the club members appear to be over 38years of age there should be no problems towing trailers!!
See link in my previous post which enables anyone to check their entitlement

Careful, you make the club sound like its an old peoples club  ;D

My wife is, lets say older than 38 "Tactful"  ;) [size=78%] but she is limited on what she can tow because she passed her test after 1997.  Us oldies have granddad rights which is great.  If your licence has to be renewed by DVLA for any reason, then you should always check it when it returns as years ago for medical reasons my licence had to be renewed every three years.  One time when I received it back from DVLA, I was checking to make sure they had put my motorbike entitlement back on the licence and noticed that they had removed my C1 & D1, so I contacted them and they put these entitlements back on my licence.  They will only remove certain categories if there is a medical or lawful reason to do so [/size]

Nick Flint

« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2018, 11:57 am »
My aged eyes have found this RAC advice-

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to get B+E entitlement on your licence.

My licence recently granted by DVLA after MUCH shilly and some "shallying" declares------------ with DVLA deciding what to grant me--

I AM authorised BE for another three years THEN- (at 72years) I am "encouraged" to jump through hoops again, brought about by my 7 eye operations, and now life time eye drop usage to control "stuff".

SO my advice guys -being quite low down on the "legal advice" pecking order- i.e. at the bottom---
IS
IF your licence says "BE" -----helpfully snuggled in between "D and C1E below" --
THEN by definition you CAN tow/ drive, as I have been GRANTED "BE"
As I'm 70 years old and to quote my grandson Max-
"Pops- you're Not dead (YET)"           

My total all up weight should be less than 3500KGs, and if I'm close, I'll miss out the Full Scottish Breakfast. NB this usually includes deep fried sporran with whisky chaser   

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

tomtilley

« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:44 am »
 I parst my driving test in 1971 so will be ok with Grandfathers rights   ;)  Tom