Ronnie L

Motorhome
« on: Nov 25, 2018, 6:01 pm »
After seeing Nick and Kim happily towing and camping in their Transit Auto-Sleepers.[/size]Talking to them made me think that the old Tranny might be a good for us.Having sold some gyrocopter bits and pieces, we started look.Today a deal was done on this.It is a 1997 Ford Transit Autosleeper Amethyst. It is in amazingly good condition as they usually have corrosion issues.It’s Guernsey registered at the moment.We are picking it up from Lytham in a couple of days.[/color]

Kim Taylor

Re: Motorhome
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2018, 7:08 pm »
Well done Ronnie - good choice 8)  Just make sure that you don’t start talking nonsense like the other Amythest owners in the HoverClub! I use the word “nonsense” instead of a far more appropriate but possibly unacceptable word.... :-X ::) :-\

Ronnie L

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2018, 8:28 pm »
Thanks Kim.......what do you mean don’t “start” talking nonsense.....I think it’s a necessity.

Philip

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:34 pm »
Is it like this one? I presume they use an underbody sealer on the Transit motorhomes, we had a few Transit vans in my previous life and would never buy used from the UK as they just rotted. Irish ones all had sealer from day one and had no such problems.

Ian Brooks

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 2:19 am »
I've welded a few MkI and MkII vans. I can confirm Phil's assertion  ::) Don't know about later ones, i gave up on the dubious pastime of welding rotten cars before they came out  ;)
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Ronnie L

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 8:15 am »
I’ve welded lots of old transits and advised customers to scrap them too.
Then I go and pay a stupid price for one.
The cab and body is in amazing condition, just a couple of scabs.
They are pretty bomb proof mechanically, so a service and a timing belt should do it.
Titivate the bodywork and off we go.

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:01 am »
I said I’d never buy a transit van.
Guess what I bought a transit van.
13 plate got a couple of scabs but hey ho.

tomtilley

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 9:35 pm »
  Now i think thay may have to put there names on each camper to show who's the Pilot is .    :-\ ;D

Nick Flint

« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:03 am »
Ahhh good choice, Ronnie.
They are basically an upside down fibreglass hull, i.e. don't leak, unlike ali foam slabsides as most others.
Look out for heater issues in the saloon, easily upgraded by going digital, see Kims upgrade or mine.
My only "real issue" was the crummy alarm (factory fitted.)
THIS has an "in situ" small rechargeable battery to power the noise should some one just cut the wire!
THIS battery self charges from your main onboard engine battery, so gradually discharges your engine starter battery, because the small battery eventually deteriorates until it continuously needs charging.
In all ways this is stupid!!! I used a professional to remove and despose of said alarm- (useless anyway)
as the transit part is immobilised. I then fitted a discarnect battery terminal, so I can NOW start up with
the rather  tired battery  even when left for weeks with the battery disconnected.
Also helps with additional anti thief measure.
No issues yet with losing the "memory" part of things with engine, and or radio!
Just retune it for your hol then relax! 8)
They also hold their price rather well, poor when buying, good when selling!

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018, 10:09 am by Nick Flint »
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

tomtilley

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:25 am »
Hi Nick just being  curious what is the  Weight of the camper  m/t it will be on logbook or vin plate . I just thinking. May be for me ? 🤔 Thanks .         Tom

Ronnie L

« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:11 pm »
Hi Nick
These campers seem to be a kind of hoverclub uniform.
Thanks for info, need to speak to you at some point.

Tom
Gross vehicle weight 3500kg.

tomtilley

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2018, 6:46 pm »
 Thank you Ron, much appreciated for the information  that is the maximum I can drive now on my driving licence 3.500 Killo without craft and trailer  after reaching 70 years young, that was 2 years ago.

[/size][size=78%]Your [/size][/size][size=78%]driving licence will change automatically when you reach the age of 70. [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Just trying to let club members who are not 70 know about this licence change.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Tom[/size]

Ronnie L

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2018, 8:35 pm »
Tom
Can you drive a 3500kg motorhome +trailer?

John Robertson

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:47 pm »
I suspect it's the same scenario with the modern driving test - limited to 3500Kg.  I did some research a few years back to determine the reason why it was said that "new" licences holders can't tow a trailer.  Turned out that the interpretation was based on the GTW of the vehicle plus the gross weight of the trailer- which meant that you couldn't tow a 150Kg trailer with a large 4x4 (GTW 3.5t _ 0.15) but could tow a 2 ton trailer behind a tiddly lightweight car.  This made no sense on safety grounds so I read the appropriate Acts and it turns out that the 3.5t limit is the actual train weight (vehicle plus loaded trailer) at the time - nothing to do with the GTW on the VIN plate.  I also couldn't  find any court cases where someone had been fined/etc. for towing a trailer (probably not a surprise as the rig would need taken to a weighbridge to prove it was over 3.5t!).

Bottom line is that provided the total rig weight is below 3.5t you should be OK (how much does the loaded camper weigh - 2.5t max and it would be OK assuming the trailer/hover is 500Kg (and if it isn't then a lighter trailer is needed!)

tomtilley

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:36 am »
Hi John before my  license change I can drive up to 7.1/2 ton truck But now I can not all the info of the vehicle that's being driven on the road is with the DVLA info and on the log book I'm not to shore I will chance it .If i have a  accident I think the  Insurance company will   Wriggle out of it  like thay do if Im driving over the  Weight limit . Tom