Jimmy Cooper

Re: Lift engine.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2018, 10:05 am »
Balanced rudders.
I am told that 25/75 % is an optimum (using the pivot point as the centre). Checked my Sirocco as didn't like the 'over centre' feel. Felt like it was dropping into turns and you'd have to pull it straight.
The two rudders when checked were 29/71 % on measurements.
I made up sone  SS plates to alter the balance of the rudders by moving the relative pivot point to my give basically the same feel as my Marlin III, 21/79.
Sooooooooo much better.
Now feels good with a more self centering action without be heavy.
Nice when a plan comes together...........
A BHC Marlin and Vortex Sirocco Man

Nick Flint

« Reply #31 on: Sep 09, 2018, 7:59 pm »
As infered, being reminded where straight ahead is can only be good. ::)
My car feels around 10% in comparison, which i prefer.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Ian Brooks

« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2018, 11:45 pm »
23% is advised by Barry "The Grand Master" Palmer. I have come to accept that I only disagree with Barry when I still have something to learn.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2018, 3:51 pm »
Iím just happy if the rudders make the craft go in the rough direction I want to go.
As for self cantering I have arms that can do that.

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2018, 6:08 pm »
Itís alive.

Philip

« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2018, 6:41 pm »
That sounds familiar :) , should work well. BTW with that shaped duct gives some very interesting airflow patterns.

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #36 on: Sep 19, 2018, 8:19 am »
As long as it works I donít care.

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #37 on: Sep 26, 2018, 7:48 am »
Bugger.
2 new pulse pumps original and a new mikuni cast outboard in the 16hp Briggs and it still wonít get fuel to the carb on full chat. (No blocked pipes and breather working).
Gravity feed it and no problem.
Didnít want to go down the electric pump but I fear I have no option.
Unless Iím missing something.

Philip

« Reply #38 on: Sep 26, 2018, 8:05 am »
You've got a leak somewhere? Is the pump mounted as close as possible to the engine?

John Robertson

« Reply #39 on: Sep 26, 2018, 9:50 am »
Lift height is next to nothing so that can't be the problem.  My guess would be the vacuum pipe to the pump - they need to be short and very stiff wall or the pipe "pulses" instead of the pump diaphragm.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 am by John Robertson »

Warby

« Reply #40 on: Sep 26, 2018, 11:19 am »
Where is the pulse tube connected on engine? See photo of pulse tube connected to valve cover on Briggs engine.

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2018, 7:55 pm »
Checked all that. Short pipe. Ordered new pump. Engine was new old stock as was the outboard pump.
Ordered a facet pump and a new pulse pump.

rossfloyd

« Reply #42 on: Sep 26, 2018, 8:58 pm »
I had hells own trouble after a rebuild ...until I found that I had connected the pipes the wrong way - very red face.

Previously I actually changed Britannia's entire lift engine because of this problem - I couldn't find the trouble until long afterwards - a tiny split on the side of the pulse tube - after a few minutes at full power it couldn't quite give enough fuel.  Caused a few very nasty moments off St Thomas' Head. 

I tried an elec pump and went back to pulse.  My back ups are the engine primers - KISS comes to mind !

Gary Firth (Gazza)

« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2018, 5:15 pm »
Sorted the problem.
This is a brand new engine. I put the original pump back on the craft and still didnít work. So I changed the original Briggs fuel filter for a new filter (bought ten off eBay ages ago).
Works a treat now. No issues and I now have a new unused facet pump for the box a bits.

rossfloyd

« Reply #44 on: Sep 27, 2018, 9:28 pm »
I believe that Briggs had a batch of bad filters some time ago.  We had one on a mower that caused endless problems. Probably one of those ?