Warby

Rare White Otter spotted at Porthmadog
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 9:02 pm »
Otter spotted this afternoon!!
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018, 10:04 pm by Warby »

Philip

Re: Rare White Otter spotted at Porthmadog
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 9:10 pm »
That's a very strange shade of green ears :) :)

Ian Brooks

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:18 pm »
The apprentice ordered the wrong paint. Tut tut..
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Warby

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:23 pm »
Otter spotted this afternoon!!
This Otter was involved in rescuing someone today, I think Capt Flint will explain later

Warby

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2018, 5:46 pm »
There were other 'Things' flying over the estuary that afternoon!!!

Nick Flint

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 am »
Yes Warby is correct. Two were plucked off a sand back, cut off by the rising tide. Jack (my grandson) had noticed them. We kept an eye on them as we cruised back and forth, searching bays for ANYone to rescue, and were eventually hailed by some local walkers (on the main beach) who were most concerned about the enfolding sand bank situation across the estuary, and preferred us to intervene rather than they contact the coast guard. I am happy to say "International Rescue (Hovercraft Division)" were only too happy to "Wilco" etc etc.
Once sand bank achieved, the "resuees" STILL seemed unconcerned, simply saying they were "looking for the way off".
I said there wasn't one now the tide was rushing in (in great swathes).
Sparkle was settled onto a strange type of sand, like "soft porous meringue" Like small rocks, the lift air lubrication was being allowed to escape from under the craft, effectively anchoring us. I got off, pushed the craft 20 degrees around and was sinking into the sand which resembled "developing quick sand", perhaps due to incoming tide, floating the sand particles? Once craft moving, I jumped aboard and full power into the maelstrom that was the two knot incoming.  ;)

The couple were most happy once we achieved the mainland about 200 yards away! My co pilot "Jack "Danger" can be seen acknowledging his part in this heroic gesture----
I.R.H.D motto-----
"Be Careful----- Its tricky out there"

Consequently- Next day the beach wardens kindly waved us through at zero cost onto the beach, ready for more search and rescue!.
We achieved 26 miles of mind numbing search patterns, and finally noticed a repeat of previous days scenario!
We left them awhile until it was clearer whether "rescue was needed" but they decided to wade back up to their necks ( as the tide had not yet risen as high as previous day) Jack (danger) was mortified at having another double rescue so cruelly torn from his easy reach.
His counselling is going as well as can be expected.
We arrived with 50% fuel!
We came away with 25% fuel!

My co-pilot considered it only right (and proper) to wave at EVERYONE including the whole of Portmerion, and every intervening beachs  and Blackrock sands beach. Our four day training session ended well (If Somewhat tired)  ::)

Sparkle was a joy, and the training session has shown what can be achieved by my Co-pilot.  8)

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

rossfloyd

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:44 am »
That sounds like a fairly typical run out at Weston - the grockles just don't get the fact that the sea is tidal.  I actually had a couple of people from the Midlands say " We didn't realise the tide came in".  Watch the sand banks Nick - I nearly got killed in the BC some years ago - the craft tends to dry the sand out in the immediate vicinity of the cushion so it feels and looks safe to walk on - move out of that area - and easy reach of the craft .. and you can get swallowed up - very frightening.

Warby

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2018, 11:36 am »
I have encountered this type of aireated sand many times in the Porthmadog estuary over the last 60+years. It seams to "appear" when the sand is first covered by the tide and when you walk on it you sink about 6" to a foot and loads of air bubbles are released. I have never heared of anyone getting stuck in it although any Estuary should be treated with caution as there are some areas of quick sand which is more like a waterlogged jelly!!

Ronnie L

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2018, 11:53 am »
It seems that you need to change your name to Virgil Tracy Flint and Sparkle to Thunderbird 6.
That’s two more people that would have been in the cart.
Happy days and well done to you.....again.
It gets hovercraft a good press.

Warby

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2018, 12:49 pm »
Returning to Nick's rescue, it beggars belief how often this happens. There are signs warning people, and on the same afternoon a car got stuck in the soft sand BEYOND the sign which says NO VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT  !!!
The RNLI have 2 life boats at Criccieth, about 2 miles from Black Rock Sands, one large Atlantic class Rib and a small inshore inflatable, primary for Porthmadog estuary.
In 2013 I was staying in a cottage overlooking the estuary and during ONE week we saw/helped three families who got cut off on another sandbank!! How do you educate people??

Nick Flint

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2018, 1:46 pm »
Euthanasia?
Only a suggestion tho---- ;)

Gaz

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2018, 3:37 pm »
Darwin had it sussed. Nuff said ;)
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

Ian Brooks

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2018, 6:39 pm »
We need a “member of the public rescued “ icon for people’s profile! We could award one for each person rescued.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Nick Flint

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2018, 7:34 pm »

Ive OKd this with Jacks parents before posting, due to his being a minor.
Short film soon if weather falters!  8)

Nick Flint

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2018, 3:16 pm »
Ive just remembered, we landed on a sand bank with a flock of approx 40 birds, about 30 feet away.
They were unmoved by Sparkle.
I got out, and they still carried on strolling around.
Jack got out quietly after one minute,—— and they flew off without delay.
Again (and again🤪) we see birds recognise PEOPLE as a THREAT, and hovercraft hold little interest for them
CONTRARY to RSPBs beliefs.
DOGS🐕 and PEOPLE 🕺🏼are seen as potential eaters/killers of birds, 🦉
Hovercraft????? I dont think so🤦🏽‍♂️