« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:44 am »

That sounds like a fairly typical run out at Weston - the grockles just don't get the fact that the sea is tidal.  I actually had a couple of people from the Midlands say " We didn't realise the tide came in".  Watch the sand banks Nick - I nearly got killed in the BC some years ago - the craft tends to dry the sand out in the immediate vicinity of the cushion so it feels and looks safe to walk on - move out of that area - and easy reach of the craft .. and you can get swallowed up - very frightening.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 am »

Yes Warby is correct. Two were plucked off a sand back, cut off by the rising tide. Jack (my grandson) had noticed them. We kept an eye on them as we cruised back and forth, searching bays for ANYone to rescue, and were eventually hailed by some local walkers (on the main beach) who were most concerned about the enfolding sand bank situation across the estuary, and preferred us to intervene rather than they contact the coast guard. I am happy to say "International Rescue (Hovercraft Division)" were only too happy to "Wilco" etc etc.
Once sand bank achieved, the "resuees" STILL seemed unconcerned, simply saying they were "looking for the way off".
I said there wasn't one now the tide was rushing in (in great swathes).
Sparkle was settled onto a strange type of sand, like "soft porous meringue" Like small rocks, the lift air lubrication was being allowed to escape from under the craft, effectively anchoring us. I got off, pushed the craft 20 degrees around and was sinking into the sand which resembled "developing quick sand", perhaps due to incoming tide, floating the sand particles? Once craft moving, I jumped aboard and full power into the maelstrom that was the two knot incoming.  ;)

The couple were most happy once we achieved the mainland about 200 yards away! My co pilot "Jack "Danger" can be seen acknowledging his part in this heroic gesture----
I.R.H.D motto-----
"Be Careful----- Its tricky out there"

Consequently- Next day the beach wardens kindly waved us through at zero cost onto the beach, ready for more search and rescue!.
We achieved 26 miles of mind numbing search patterns, and finally noticed a repeat of previous days scenario!
We left them awhile until it was clearer whether "rescue was needed" but they decided to wade back up to their necks ( as the tide had not yet risen as high as previous day) Jack (danger) was mortified at having another double rescue so cruelly torn from his easy reach.
His counselling is going as well as can be expected.
We arrived with 50% fuel!
We came away with 25% fuel!

My co-pilot considered it only right (and proper) to wave at EVERYONE including the whole of Portmerion, and every intervening beachs  and Blackrock sands beach. Our four day training session ended well (If Somewhat tired)  ::)

Sparkle was a joy, and the training session has shown what can be achieved by my Co-pilot.  8)

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2018, 5:46 pm »

There were other 'Things' flying over the estuary that afternoon!!!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:23 pm »

Otter spotted this afternoon!!
This Otter was involved in rescuing someone today, I think Capt Flint will explain later

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:18 pm »

The apprentice ordered the wrong paint. Tut tut..
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 9:10 pm »

That's a very strange shade of green ears :) :)

« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 9:02 pm »

Otter spotted this afternoon!!
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018, 10:04 pm by Warby »