Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2018: May 25, 2018 - Jun 07, 2018Please login or register to sign up for this event.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:30 am »

Another stone checked out (actually two but one of them is more of a sitting stone!). 

Updated coord files attached (one should be loadable into most map software on phones,etc.).

« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2018, 8:19 am »

and the forested "interior" was full of animals that could eat you back then!). 

I hear the midges still try :P
National Sarcasm Society - like we need your support
http://www.patsure.com

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2018, 9:38 pm »

I only selected stones within reasonable walking distance of the shore.  No one has yet worked out what there purpose was.  They don't appear to have any  geographical or environmental features in common - some are on plains, others tops of hills, etc. 

Shore-side settlements where probably more about multiple food sources that anything else (and the forested "interior" was full of animals that could eat you back then!). 

« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2018, 8:55 pm »

Is it significant they're all near reasonable landing places? This either means that the prehistoric builders travelled by boat, or that you not went to ones that you could land near!

How different was the view of the world where the water was the main transport route? I see this on the Severn, right up to the last century everything was focussed on the river, now people have turned the other way. It's also interesting that the water was less of a barrier than it is now, with many more ferries and people paddling to and fro in their coracles. So in places you see two villages of the same name that face each other across the water, eg Purton, - presumably they were once considered the same place.

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2018, 6:20 pm »

Added another stone.  Stone-selfie taken in the wind and rain on top of a hill - which explains the squinting  :(
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018, 7:04 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2018, 11:26 pm »

Here is a little challenge for this years event!  It involves finding and visiting (selfie at each one) a list of standing stones:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16Z953sRws1mohScCu1xHHHst3FP8vkbm&usp=sharing

... there are 11 of them varying from easy to cardio-challenged (i.e. up a steep hill!) and all are within walking distance of the shore.  The hovercrafty challenge is that you'll need to find somewhere safe to land/leave your hovercraft (checking coastal conditions, tides, etc.) AND work out how to reach the standing stone (and then actually find it!).

A KML file is attached - you can import it into mapping software on your phone, etc.  There is also a plain text file containing the coordinates of each stone.

A little note on land access rights in Scotland (they differ significantly from England and Wales) which may reassure you as you stumble around the wilds!  Basically you have the legal right to walk anywhere you wish with very few exceptions.  You can't wander around someone's garden (curtilage of a property) or through a cropped field (you can walk round the edge though).  Wild camping is also permitted anywhere but hopefully it won't take you that long to find a standing stone  :D

There may be a prize for the person who gets a selfie at all of them!
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018, 1:04 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2018, 6:34 pm »

Hope it's warmer than this!!
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:39 pm »

The solution to the aching arms caused by the long walk from the brewery to the hover-park on the Loch carrying case of beer - a cheapo old-woman shopping trolley (got rid of the tartan bag though as that was a step too far!

I carry it in the Explorer to make the return trip from the filling station easier on the arms.

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2018, 8:09 pm »

I'll be there for the first week  ;D
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2018, 1:11 pm »

I'll get t' ;)  Kettle on----!
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:36 pm »

Booked a cottage for first week.
Will be there with a remodelled Kermit......hopefully
Looking forward to it

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:32 am »

Booked again for two weeks at Campsite.  8)

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2018, 7:28 pm »

Yippee! Finally managed to negotiate some time of from work to get to part of this year’s Mc Hoverin’ :) :)  Will only be there for the first week but it’s better than nowt 8)

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 5:51 pm »

Lest ye forget what its all about------! ;)

https://youtu.be/qlS5zNeUVyE

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 4:07 pm »

Ahhh great news,
This IS going to be Glamourarmarrrgghh  8)