« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2017, 9:58 pm »

It certainly is an interesting part of the world. I was just south of the Nata bird sanctuary.
Tim Dawson
Sun City, South Africa

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2017, 9:20 pm »

Thought I would take a look at the area where you were "flying" Tim
Interesting!!
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/african-safari-botswana/makgadikgadi-info.htm

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2017, 9:05 pm »

Hi Tim - what a delightful video! Speaking as a landlocked Brit, I cannot help but be impressed by your exotic list of animal footprints! Thank you - I don't believe I know anyone who could include a Gnu footprint in their reply - let alone a problem with hippos! What a great, international club we have here guys - proud to be part of it!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2017, 8:58 pm »

Tim Dawson
Sun City, South Africa

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2017, 8:54 pm »

Hy Tim, good to see hovering from "Foreign parts".
1 Is the camera mounted on your chest?
2 Have you mounted your winch on the craft to use its battery? Ive always mounted it on the trailer to reduce weight and corrosion.
3 You have a very nice voice. ;)
4 Are the "foot steps in the mud" actually beasts rather than people. It looks benign but I guess there be nasties ready to bite an unwary bottom? :'( :'(
Keep it up!

1. I was just holding the camera. Mounting it on the duct made the footage nearly unveiwable due to vibration i need to work on the mount there.....
2. A lot of the rivers over here are in ravines and have steep banks so getting out could be problematic so in a flash of inspiration i fitted it to the craft. so the plan is if needed, put the craft on a high tick over and allow itself to pull itself up the steep bank. Mainly to get around the numerous weirs that the farmers build across the rivers over here!
3. Why thank you! 
4. Foot prints in the mud were from zebra, ostrich, Gnu and cows! There might be some crocs in there but i didnt see any. The biggest problem over here will be hippos!
Tim Dawson
Sun City, South Africa

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2017, 12:52 pm »

Great hover video. That is just the place to hover forever  - Like being in a real  'mandelbrot set' - love it.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2017, 9:30 am »

Hy Tim, good to see hovering from "Foreign parts".
1 Is the camera mounted on your chest?
2 Have you mounted your winch on the craft to use its battery? Ive always mounted it on the trailer to reduce weight and corrosion.
3 You have a very nice voice. ;)
4 Are the "foot steps in the mud" actually beasts rather than people. It looks benign but I guess there be nasties ready to bite an unwary bottom? :'( :'(
Keep it up!

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2017, 11:35 pm »

Great to see you making the most of the marlin Tim 👍

Dave.

« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:14 pm »

After finishing the second Marlin I had a chance to get my hovercraft on Sua Pan in Botswana, this is a place that I have been thinking about ever since i got into hovercraft. As far as i know i think I'm the first person to get a hovercraft on this pan. Sua pan is massive (check it out on google earth) and with the heavy rains earlier in the year there is still good water in parts of it. During the three days i was there i could see the water was receding about a foot a day! that is a lot of evaporation. Around the edges of the pan there are channels, islands and lagoons perfect for hovercraft.
I went out about 1.5km and the water was 2.5m deep, but around the edges is about 2 foot deep.

Warm fresh water, with flamingos, pelicans, spoonbills, wildebeest etc to keep you company. Hope to get back there soon.

https://youtu.be/bdnEAQNsyWw   
Tim Dawson
Sun City, South Africa