Loch Fyne in February

Pages: [1]   Go Down   Started by Steve Holland. Read 791 times. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Steve Holland

• Club Member
I had another loch Fyne trip with John this weekend. Travelled down on Friday to get an early start on Saturday but it was not to be. Too windy and too choppy. John attempted to go out but turned round and came straight back in  !!
We spent the day puddling about, I offloaded the Vanguard and parked it up with the hood fitted.

Sunday was an early start, cold/damp but calm so we headed south towards Lochgilphead direction to look for gas for the cooker in the Explorer. Shock horror everything is closed on Sunday at least the places that sell gas are !!

Next leg was down to Tarbert to get food and look for more gas outlets (none found ) we did meet a few friendly chatty people asking the usual questions including an almost offer to buy a craft :-)

From Tarbert we headed over towards Portavadie to eat our food and begin looking for firewood for the Loghouse. Lunch in we set off down for Kilbride bay which was largely deserted but for some of dog walking couples who stopped for a chat.

On the return leg we chopped firewood  on the beach in between showers and stopped in by the Oystercatcher for some tea. From there it was a straight run home with a high tide making the garden landing easy.

No issues mechanically with either craft although no heater makes the Vanguard a cold place to be, at least the screen stops frostbite claiming extremities :-)
Feb 07, 2017, 1:21 pm
There's no such thing as bad weather, your just wearing the wrong jacket!!

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
Stone me Steve,,,, its only JUST February as well.
Trail blazers you two.
Only the brave! :o
Reply #1 Feb 07, 2017, 8:00 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
Great photos guys. Why is JR washing up after his pot noodle? Is this not way OTT?
 JRs craft operating--- shows size well as the other shots dont, ie with him in the shot you can actually see how HUGE the craft is😜.
Other pictures just show a hovercraft, and we all think its a normal size. It sure isnt "normal" 🙄
Reply #2 Mar 06, 2017, 4:23 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline gavin parson

• Club Member
Stone me Steve,,,, its only JUST February as well.
Trail blazers you two.
Only the brave! :o

In my presentation on Saturday at the MSBA conference, the majority of my slides were taken in the winter. It's often the best time to go out. Still, calm days, no boats around, no jetski idiots at the slipway.
Reply #3 Mar 07, 2017, 7:02 am

Offline Steve Holland

• Club Member
Hoping to do a summary of the weekend tonight.

Winter/spring hovering can be exceptional as John and I have found and to be fair, we are lucky to have such a beautiful  coastline here.
Reply #4 Mar 07, 2017, 1:07 pm

Offline Steve Holland

• Club Member
Dodgy video of trip. I am going to work on my videoing skills as soon as !

Reply #5 Mar 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
It IS all good to see, especially during these rather unhovercrafty months. The middle lovely part looked super, with the calm clear waters in full evidence. Its come to something when I actually recognise random falling down buildings!- bothies?
Ref videos--- the play button is still optional, so i shouldnt worry over whether you score too high on the film of the year.
These have been more than most have undertaken, never mind posted!
Your craft sounds nice n smooth. Is it now well settled after your full rebuild.
Is the prospector still in the to do draw?!
Difficult when you have alice -such a capable craft youve grown to know and love?---

Reply #6 Mar 16, 2017, 5:07 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Online Kim Taylor

• Club Member
Nothing dodgy about that Steve - made me really want to be there so it's done it's job I reckon! Can't wait to get up there with Kairos and join in the fun with you both...
Reply #7 Mar 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

Offline Steve Holland

• Club Member
The video is more or less in order of where we travelled. The first part and the other two clips from inside the craft are from Leachd to Strachur heading Northish (rough water). Johnís first landing is near Creggans, the second is at Dunderave castle with its outdoor art and the third is at Inveraray where important things like sweets and fuel were bought.

On the Sunday we went down to Tarbert on a low tide which meant easy landing with no mooring in the harbour. The town was quiet with a handful of curious onlookers around. After cake shopping we went down and round to Skipness for lunch, lazing around and a partial beach clean-up where we met a local mum out walking with her hung over daughter and ridiculously cute Yorkie puppy.
From Skipness we travelled round and across to the beach in the clip with the lapping water for tea and cake doing our relaxing on the gravel half asleep thing! The clip with the old bothy some of you know of is not far south of Otterferry. The other clips are the ever lovely Castle Lachlan and Johnís arrival home showing a couple of hundred kilos of firewood and me muttering something about knocking buoys out of the way  :)

It was another great weekend in a beautiful location. Iíve been doing these trips with John for so long now the Log house feels like a second home at times. The after dinner discussion of the days hover trip over dinner and later next to the wood stove with a beer are all part of the experience that makes our hobby so addictive.
My distance on a map page gave me around 105 miles travelled for the weekend.

Nick, the Vanguard is going well, the new engine and drive have settled nicely. Fuel consumption has gone down a little which is always good. I will replace the almost 10 years old (it will be 10 years this June I first took to the water in it) Vanguard skirt this year with the 900 gram version 
I am getting closer to looking at the Prospector in part spurred on by watching the Explorer effortlessly take on the waves as I bump up and down over them. Iím happy with the Vanguard for now so all in good time.

Kim, looking forward to catching up at the Hoverin for Hovercrafting, drinking and blethering round camp fires!
Reply #8 Mar 16, 2017, 10:24 pm
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 10:50 pm by Steve Holland »

Offline John Robertson

• Club Member
    • My personal hover-website
Nice trip - again!  I managed a five day "weekend" - although the Monday was a wash-out with rain and high winds - apart from Sunday, the other days were "less than perfect" with wind and some quite rough water.  Still, the "testing" demonstrated that I need to fit thrust belt spray guards!
Reply #9 Mar 16, 2017, 11:01 pm

Offline Lindsay

• Club Member
Great video - love the lapping little waves and crunching beach, almost like being there - also the little details when scanning round the craft  - really good.
Reply #10 Mar 17, 2017, 10:37 am