Scottish Hoverin 2017

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down   Started by webadmin. Read 3091 times. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Linked Events

• Scottish Hoverin 2017: May 27, 2017 - Jun 10, 2017Please login or register to sign up for this event.

Offline Philip

• Club Member
  • Soon to be 12" above the Earth's surface
    • My YouTube
Everybody on the cruise gone quite?
Reply #45 Jun 05, 2017, 12:40 pm

Offline Kip

• Club Member
No ,They have just gone quiet.
Sorry Philip. Couldn't resist,
Kip
Reply #46 Jun 05, 2017, 6:52 pm
Lets hope the best of our yesterdays are the worst of our tomorrows

Offline Philip

• Club Member
  • Soon to be 12" above the Earth's surface
    • My YouTube
No ,They have just gone quiet.
Sorry Philip. Couldn't resist,
Kip
:) :) :)
Reply #47 Jun 05, 2017, 7:30 pm

Offline Ian Brooks

• Club Family Member
Hi

Just back (well sort of) from Scotland. I had to come home when most other people were staying  :'(

Nathan & I arrived around lunchtime on Saturday, after setting off at some ridiculous hour in the morning. There was no-one at the Cabin so we offloaded the craft and were preparing to go out when John arrived in the Explorer, so without further ado we set off for the campsite to see who else had arrived. Nick wasa lready out in Sparkle, its maiden voyage! And what a jolly happy chap he was  :D

And here is the proud owner  :D

Kim & Val turned up on Sunday, and lost no time launching the second new Otter from the campsite. This one in traditional Otter YELLOW but in a particularly LOUD shade, it was soon christened the Custard Craft  ;) Both new owners are absolutely delighted with thier new craft. If you look closely you might be able to spot the differences between the new Otters and mine, which is an original MkI. The development has resulted in a number of small but quite significant changes, making the Briggs powered craft as lively as my mine (it jumps over hump like it wasn't there), and significantly improving the craft performance in cross winds too. I took Kims out for a spin and that put a smile on my face.

On Monday we took the usual trip to the brewery at the head of the Loch, with the tide right in we just moored the craft up in the trees.

The brewery have made a lot of improvements lately, so we had to stop for one (of course). However, the beer is not improved - perfection cannot be bettered! Lovely conditions for the run ack into the low sun of the evening

Tuesday was a bit wet so no decent photo's although we did get out for a run, collecting fuel at Inverary and stopping off at Creggans on the way back for light refreshment!

Wednesday was forecast to be nice so we all headed off down to Kilfinan beach and then on to Glenan Bay, about 35 miiles from the campsite. A few of us trekked up the hills to find a ruined traditional Scottish farm village, via a lady who traded a lawnmower repair for directions through the woods!

The main contingent then headed back up towards the campsite, whilst John, Nathan and myself headed on to Kilbride bay for a cuppa followed by the four mile crossing to the other side of the Loch to explore the lesser known small beaches over there. This part of the coast is remote, but retains ruins of long-abandoned farmsteads each one adjacent to its own small beach. Great for exploring. The rune back was sporting to say the least, with a big sea swell rolling up the loch and combining with unforecast fresh breeze to make challenging conditions. Thats when the Otter really feels good, taking 4ft waves in its stride, perhaps not in comfort but you never feel exposed.

The weather was poor again on Thursday, so we took a local trip to an interesting spot on the map that shows various neolithic remains, and discovered some cup-marked rocks and a pair of standing stones that align with the rising sun on midsummers day.

Friday was promised to be a great day so we planned to meet for a barbie in the evening at Eilean Mat-Ghamnha (no I've no idea how to procnounce that!) otherwise known as Newton Bay as seven. Prior to that, a contingent headed up the Loch to the brewery, whilst John, Nathan and I headed back down the Loch again to explore the remote parts some more. Beach hopping down, we visited a couple of remote ruined farmsteads and finished up on the beach at Skipness, just round the corner with Arran very tempting just 6 miles over the sound. However, the crossing was looking very choppy and in anycase we needed to set off for the two hour run to meet for the barbie.

That, unfortunately, was that for Nathan and myself as we had to set off for home on Saturday morning, but you can be sure it was with a wide grin. Another vintage year of hover fun in Argyll, I never tire of that place. Many thanks to John for organising everything and inviting us up to share such a beautiful place with him.

Ian & Nathan

Reply #48 Jun 05, 2017, 9:13 pm
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2017, 9:21 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
One taster photo taken of a much protesting Kim!
I ignored him of course.

Reply #49 Jun 11, 2017, 6:56 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline Nick Flint

• Club Member
Or-----
Reply #50 Jun 11, 2017, 6:58 pm
"Capn" FLINT

Offline Kim Taylor

• Club Member
Will post more when I have time but what a fantastic holiday!!

My craft, Kairos, covered 274 miles with only one brief snag (grit in quick release fuel connector as already mentioned by Nick) and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Val and I can cruise in comfort and safety as shown by one afternoon trip of 75 miles visiting Lochgilphead and Tarbert harbours. As well as being in company with Nick and Jane in their Otter, hats off to Mike who did the trip with us in his Marlin 1 - my back would have been killing me if I'd not been in my Otter...

That's to everyone for great adventures, memories and fun and to John for "not organising it"...

Image here is Kairos late one evening during a beach BBQ
Reply #51 Jun 13, 2017, 12:57 pm

Offline Kim Taylor

• Club Member
Afternoon trip - image of route taken
Reply #52 Jun 13, 2017, 12:58 pm

Offline Kim Taylor

• Club Member
Tarbert Harbour. Tide out (obviously!) ::)  but swans with cygnets (left side of photo) completely unphased by our presence.

Will post more in due course...
Reply #53 Jun 13, 2017, 1:02 pm

Offline Dave Munday

• Club Member
I Had a great time in Scotland , Thanks to John for organising and giving me a day out in the Hovercamper, great craft.   
Reply #54 Jun 13, 2017, 8:04 pm

Offline John Robertson

• Club Member
    • My personal hover-website
Thanks to all for coming - weather was less than perfect at times but didn't stop the hovering!  No camping trip this year as we couldn't find two consecutive good days :(

Managed 559 miles over the two weeks with only a prop belt tightening required on the craft.
Reply #55 Jun 15, 2017, 6:28 pm