Kim Taylor

Re: Severn Cruising
« Reply #135 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 am »
Well done on Plan B Ian - I do like a Plan B...... and C and D if possible!! Hope the fix is an easy one 8)

Nick Flint

« Reply #136 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:37 am »
Im so used to air cooled thumpy things i would never have thought of that.  ::)
If this turns out to be the problem-----

Perhaps a low warning sensor in the coolant system?

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Warby

« Reply #137 on: Apr 19, 2019, 9:47 am »
A temperature gauge would give an early warning of something wrong!!

Warby

« Reply #138 on: Apr 19, 2019, 1:41 pm »
If anyone is looking for an "emergency engine" I have 2006 Mariner 3.3 hp two stroke LONG shaft. It is in excellent condition and used for about 3 hours having been an emergency engine for my rib. (Which I sold)
 As a precaution last month I changed the waterpump impellor and the lower unit gear oil.
Anyone interested PM me.

Ian Brooks

« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2019, 10:43 pm »
Last year at Loch Fyne I had a couple of occasions when the engine missed a beat, usually just for a second but not enough to deflate the skirt. After a while I noticed that it only happened one one tank (I have two tanks, both have integrated fuel pumps and gauges). On home turf I can get right out to the Severn Bridge and back on one tank, so the issue has remained dormant all year! I finally got around to looking at it tonight.

I had a spare fuel pump, so first I just changed that along with all wiring on the basis that must fix it! Then I took apart the old one to diagnose the problem.

The wiring appeared intact at first sight, but a gentle pull showed that it was just the heat shrink holding the wire to the terminal. The connection was properly strain relieved by the heat shrink and connector backshell, and there was no bvious corrosion, so I  suspect a dormant dry joint. It took 6 years to eventually turn into a crack. I'll have a look under the microscope tomorrow and see if that is the case.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:57 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK