Kim Taylor

Re: Severn Cruising
« Reply #135 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 am »
Well done on Plan B Ian - I do like a Plan B...... and C and D if possible!! Hope the fix is an easy one 8)

Nick Flint

« Reply #136 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:37 am »
Im so used to air cooled thumpy things i would never have thought of that.  ::)
If this turns out to be the problem-----

Perhaps a low warning sensor in the coolant system?

Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Warby

« Reply #137 on: Apr 19, 2019, 9:47 am »
A temperature gauge would give an early warning of something wrong!!

Warby

« Reply #138 on: Apr 19, 2019, 1:41 pm »
If anyone is looking for an "emergency engine" I have 2006 Mariner 3.3 hp two stroke LONG shaft. It is in excellent condition and used for about 3 hours having been an emergency engine for my rib. (Which I sold)
 As a precaution last month I changed the waterpump impellor and the lower unit gear oil.
Anyone interested PM me.

Ian Brooks

« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2019, 10:43 pm »
Last year at Loch Fyne I had a couple of occasions when the engine missed a beat, usually just for a second but not enough to deflate the skirt. After a while I noticed that it only happened one one tank (I have two tanks, both have integrated fuel pumps and gauges). On home turf I can get right out to the Severn Bridge and back on one tank, so the issue has remained dormant all year! I finally got around to looking at it tonight.

I had a spare fuel pump, so first I just changed that along with all wiring on the basis that must fix it! Then I took apart the old one to diagnose the problem.

The wiring appeared intact at first sight, but a gentle pull showed that it was just the heat shrink holding the wire to the terminal. The connection was properly strain relieved by the heat shrink and connector backshell, and there was no bvious corrosion, so I  suspect a dormant dry joint. It took 6 years to eventually turn into a crack. I'll have a look under the microscope tomorrow and see if that is the case.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:57 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Ian Brooks

« Reply #140 on: Jun 30, 2019, 9:49 pm »
Took my neighbour out on the craft today - he's been out once before, so I thought it about time that he had a little instruction in the art of hovercraft piloting. No real trouble for him, despite the slightly gusty breeze and twisty river giving plently of opportunity for learning!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Paul H

« Reply #141 on: Jul 01, 2019, 11:01 am »
Looks good - some great weather over the weekend. 👍
Paul H
Herefordshire (i.e. a loooong way from the coast...) 🤔

Ian Brooks

« Reply #142 on: Jul 28, 2019, 10:01 pm »
After an unexpected change of plan, Nick and Kim found themselves 'available' so an impromptu hover-in was called for. The weather forecast was good, light winds and nice weather.

Nick turned up on Friday, so a quick trip to the Anchor was called for - about 5 miles by river (15 by road!). Decent pint in a proper old pub, one of the last riverside "anchorage" pubs, it owes its existance to the need to anchor the Severn trows (rymes with crow) up and wait for the high tide before progressing through the shallows  around Longney Crib

Saturday was mainly a day for hover-nerding, as we worked out why Kairos' radio wasn' working well. We made progress with that, so another trip to the Anchor was of course called for! Then back to the Hovtek South facility for an Indian and then relaxing by the river.

Always good to sit around the fire and talk b*****x about hovercraft!

Today turned out to be rather more windy than forecast, which put a stop to further hovering, but there was plently more opportunity for hovernerding to the day wasn't wasted.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Nick Flint

« Reply #143 on: Jul 29, 2019, 2:21 pm »
Great wknd Ian, tho not "exactly" as was expected.
Saturday was indeed a superb hover crafting day (although only one hour was spent travelling).
The REST of the days from 8-00am until 24-00 midnight was spent talking and doing some really good stuff.
Same goes for Sunday, when MUCH was learnt (by me) and taught (by Ian).
PRIVIDED Ian enjoyed teaching a slow learner, (and fast forgetter) then all was good.
Kims plans "were unavoidably altered" on the Sunday but this gave us plenty of time to test out various aspects of the Otter.
I am repeatedly amazed that after so many years doing this hobby, just how complex Hovercraft ownership, design and servicing and operations can be.
Just when I think I'm getting the general drift- I then find other stuff.
Thats good- complacency is no good thing (ever)!
Ubiquitous hover foto  included to prove we DID get out.

Nick Flint

« Reply #144 on: Jul 29, 2019, 2:23 pm »
Novel Midnight pose.  ::)

Nick Flint

« Reply #145 on: Jul 29, 2019, 2:27 pm »
Remarkable cure for the constipation that stalks the elderly.  :'(
Im SURE Ian thinks its normal to hover about 48 feet above the water- but I fail to get used to it.  :o
Kim (the man at the back with "greying temples" can be seen on winch button duty,
and Ians legs can be seen jutting awkwardly out from UNDER hus craft rear skirtal zone.
My craft is "out of shot", mainly because  my legs jut awkwardly out of the TOP of my craft.
A Severn Hoverfest all in one photo.  ;)
Shirley- THIS is photo of the month?

Selected unsolicited reviews---------

" Timed to perfection" ---- Sunday Express Photo society
" A joy to behold"--------- Modern Photography in the flesh.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2019, 2:39 pm by Nick Flint »

Eric Yeoman

« Reply #146 on: Jul 30, 2019, 2:52 am »
" Death on a Stick ".   Australian Observer.

Nick Flint

« Reply #147 on: Jul 30, 2019, 7:12 pm »
Obviously Eric you've SEEN my legs. :o

Ian Brooks

« Reply #148 on: Aug 27, 2019, 10:04 pm »
Great weather on the Severn this weekend, resulting in much hovering despite the previously mentioned "issue" with the crank sensor.

First hover was Friday after work - ostensibly to check things out prior to taking out the lucky hover trip winners from the local village fete. Just a quick run out and back, about 10 or twelve miles, all without incident.

Next was Saturday morning, nice and early. I put the craft in the water ready for the hover trippers, got them all life-jacketed and safety briefed, and sat in the craft. Which would not start - but that story is already told, so I won't go over previous embarrasment. Anyway, the craft was fixed by lunchtime which of course required a suitable extended testing just to be sure all was OK for the hover winners.

Sunday morning my trippers arrived for the re-run, I already had the craft in the water and all checked out. Everyone was very pleased when the engine jumped into life to a big cheer from the young man and his grandma who where going out. We had a good trip of about an hour, then my young guest had to dissappear to football club or some such worthy thing! But his Dad had turned up and was keen for a run out as well, doesn't take much to persuade me so out we went for a couple more hours :)

Monday we had visitors so no hovering allowed - until said visitors decided that a hovercraft run would be fun, so that was a couple more trips out just to round off the weekend.

The classic weather continued today, sadly I had to go to work  :(  Still, plenty of hovering was had so all good  ;D
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Nick Flint

« Reply #149 on: Aug 28, 2019, 6:11 pm »
Ian, SOME ONE has to have pleasure, and we are glad it was you---------- ;)