« Reply #144 on: Jul 29, 2019, 2:21 pm »

Great wknd Ian, tho not "exactly" as was expected.
Saturday was indeed a superb hover crafting day (although only one hour was spent travelling).
The REST of the days from 8-00am until 24-00 midnight was spent talking and doing some really good stuff.
Same goes for Sunday, when MUCH was learnt (by me) and taught (by Ian).
PRIVIDED Ian enjoyed teaching a slow learner, (and fast forgetter) then all was good.
Kims plans "were unavoidably altered" on the Sunday but this gave us plenty of time to test out various aspects of the Otter.
I am repeatedly amazed that after so many years doing this hobby, just how complex Hovercraft ownership, design and servicing and operations can be.
Just when I think I'm getting the general drift- I then find other stuff.
Thats good- complacency is no good thing (ever)!
Ubiquitous hover foto  included to prove we DID get out.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #143 on: Jul 28, 2019, 10:01 pm »

After an unexpected change of plan, Nick and Kim found themselves 'available' so an impromptu hover-in was called for. The weather forecast was good, light winds and nice weather.

Nick turned up on Friday, so a quick trip to the Anchor was called for - about 5 miles by river (15 by road!). Decent pint in a proper old pub, one of the last riverside "anchorage" pubs, it owes its existance to the need to anchor the Severn trows (rymes with crow) up and wait for the high tide before progressing through the shallows  around Longney Crib

Saturday was mainly a day for hover-nerding, as we worked out why Kairos' radio wasn' working well. We made progress with that, so another trip to the Anchor was of course called for! Then back to the Hovtek South facility for an Indian and then relaxing by the river.

Always good to sit around the fire and talk b*****x about hovercraft!

Today turned out to be rather more windy than forecast, which put a stop to further hovering, but there was plently more opportunity for hovernerding to the day wasn't wasted.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #142 on: Jul 01, 2019, 11:01 am »

Looks good - some great weather over the weekend. 👍
Paul H
Herefordshire (i.e. a loooong way from the coast...) 🤔

« Reply #141 on: Jun 30, 2019, 9:49 pm »

Took my neighbour out on the craft today - he's been out once before, so I thought it about time that he had a little instruction in the art of hovercraft piloting. No real trouble for him, despite the slightly gusty breeze and twisty river giving plently of opportunity for learning!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2019, 10:43 pm »

Last year at Loch Fyne I had a couple of occasions when the engine missed a beat, usually just for a second but not enough to deflate the skirt. After a while I noticed that it only happened one one tank (I have two tanks, both have integrated fuel pumps and gauges). On home turf I can get right out to the Severn Bridge and back on one tank, so the issue has remained dormant all year! I finally got around to looking at it tonight.

I had a spare fuel pump, so first I just changed that along with all wiring on the basis that must fix it! Then I took apart the old one to diagnose the problem.

The wiring appeared intact at first sight, but a gentle pull showed that it was just the heat shrink holding the wire to the terminal. The connection was properly strain relieved by the heat shrink and connector backshell, and there was no bvious corrosion, so I  suspect a dormant dry joint. It took 6 years to eventually turn into a crack. I'll have a look under the microscope tomorrow and see if that is the case.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:57 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #139 on: Apr 19, 2019, 1:41 pm »

If anyone is looking for an "emergency engine" I have 2006 Mariner 3.3 hp two stroke LONG shaft. It is in excellent condition and used for about 3 hours having been an emergency engine for my rib. (Which I sold)
 As a precaution last month I changed the waterpump impellor and the lower unit gear oil.
Anyone interested PM me.

« Reply #138 on: Apr 19, 2019, 9:47 am »

A temperature gauge would give an early warning of something wrong!!

« Reply #137 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:37 am »

Im so used to air cooled thumpy things i would never have thought of that.  ::)
If this turns out to be the problem-----

Perhaps a low warning sensor in the coolant system?

« Reply #136 on: Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 am »

Well done on Plan B Ian - I do like a Plan B...... and C and D if possible!! Hope the fix is an easy one 8)

« Reply #135 on: Apr 18, 2019, 9:21 pm »

Any sign of water in the oil?

« Reply #134 on: Apr 18, 2019, 8:27 pm »

It is possible to have water in the header/expansion tank and none (or little) in the engine/radiator - assuming it's a unpressurised expansion tank?  It takes a few hot/cold cycles to equalise the water volume in the system.  In theory, air (and coolant) is pushed from the radiator into the expansion vessel as the engine heats up - when it cools, the water is sucked back into the radiator through the cap (it has a one-way valve to allow this - as well as the "normal" pressure valve in the other direction.

Might be worth checking for a drip from the water pump leakage hole?
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 8:41 pm by John Robertson »

« Reply #133 on: Apr 18, 2019, 8:00 pm »

Looked at it today -no water in it.  It was ok (at least there was water in the header tank) before I set off. Must be a leak somewhere though. The engine was pretty hot when it stopped, but seems ok now that theres water in it. It has a temperature sensor and is programmed to shut down at about 115C if I remember correctly.

I suspected a water leak yesterday when it happened, and thought it was probably a big one but no obvious sign of it today. More investigation needed, but at least the engine protected itself and survived the ordeal. Hurray for modern electrics!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #132 on: Apr 18, 2019, 9:15 am »

"Oooooh the SOUND of silence"
With Simon AND Garfunkel wailing away in the background, I'm sure we all commiserate, as flash backs (or is it "flashes back") crowd in on ones memory bank. Yuk (apart from the the well earned beer on the bank) swiftly followed by all the WHYs?
Not however "WHY am I doing this?"---- oooh no- just the cause (s) and prevention/mitigations necessary to avoid repeats.
I hope the severn banks (WHY so many??????! ;) ) ECHOED to that good old Yorkshire BELLOWED expression---------
---------------------------------------------"SOILED - ME - PANTS"------------------------------------------------
                                                                         :o

« Reply #131 on: Apr 17, 2019, 9:42 pm »

Well it's been 4 years that I've been solo cruising from monster worth, it had to happen eventually. I took the craft out for a short cruise after work, started it going a few miles up river then came back. Passing my place I headed off down river bound for Garden Cliff or Hock Cliff. Didn't get too far before the engine went down to one cylinder then cut out. This was 6ish with the tide due at 7:50 so no time to faff really, engage Plan B without further ado!

Plan B consists of a tiny Chinese outboard, this was deployed to bring me to a suitable spot on the bank to tie up and to get out to the road. It really doesn't have the puff to oppose the current, but there's a world of difference between in the stream and on the bank (especially if it's the right side!). Once the craft was tied up I had about a 2 mile walk back to my place to collect the "tug", a 14ft Dory with an ancient 40 horse mariner on it.

The boat was soon in the river, and in fine 2 stroke style started first pull (really!) But I won't mention that it stopped after a few seconds then was a right bugger to restart :-\ but start it did so we were good.

Taking the craft into tow was no faff at all, although steering was "interesting" as we made a drunken return journey at a decent walking pace.  And then the beer. Still, the boat has now earned its space on the bank!

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2019, 9:53 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #130 on: Mar 23, 2019, 7:38 am »

Little trip out today - in deference to the huge tides this weekend, upstream rather than downstream. In truth upstream is a bit dull really once you've done it a few times but it suited me to go out and given that a huge bore was expected in the evening it gave me a chance of recovery should I have a breakdown. Breaking down in  the lower Severn on such a tide would mean the loss of the craft almost without doubt. Not to mention the chance of a little helicopter ride!

The bridges at Gloucester and Maisemore were a bit touch and go - I got under them (slowly!) but there was not much to spare with the amount of water coming down the river from Wales. Makes for a good bore though!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK