Nick Flint

Re: Severn Cruising
« Reply #120 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:11 pm »
Even when i take the picture, i still keep talking through it all.
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Nick Flint

« Reply #121 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:21 pm »
Returning from a hot bridge cunningly named The Severn Bridge (I think)

Ian leaves a rainbow! :o

Nick Flint

« Reply #122 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:43 pm »
Cunningly named mud FLAT was chosen to play/ practice touch and goes, goes around, comes around.
Can i draw the readers attention to my approach slide which displays a pleasant carved muddle groove from my still erect divider and bow curtain!
What a joy to behold.
Its easy on cruises to
Start
Cruise
Stop.
This mud flat away from all twitchers and houses allows us to practice. Repeating the same manouvre allows skills to be honed. Staying above hump whilst turning to return to land with various wind and wave levels all helps to build skills. Gentle curves on mud can only occur if attention is paid to the lift levels and mud / sand quality, to avoid tuck in due to low lift or mud stickiness

Ian Brooks

« Reply #123 on: Dec 28, 2018, 5:51 pm »
Been very busy with the house since we moved in - the list of jobs is never ending - but found time for a Christmas Cruise. I couldn't really go boxing day, depite the good weather, as the tides have been pretty big bringing a 2* bore over the holiday. By today it was down to 8.2 m and the weather was good so off I went.

The plan was a trip down to Welhouse Bay opposite Sharpness for no other reason than its a good destination for a joy ride, and that was exactly what happened!

The weather was cold but calm under a leaden sky which slowly brightened up through the afternoon, so I got some nice pictures to share. There's something about the Severn, it always looks bluer and warmer in the photos!

View of Sharpness from Wellhouse Bay

Conditions were pretty good on the way back!

But it was a bit choppy in places where the tide is running over the submerged sandbars

Back home into the late afternoon sun

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2018, 6:24 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Nick Flint

« Reply #124 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:00 am »
Looks well chilli!!!
Sorry couldn't get down for various - :-[

"soon" is the cry!

Was bought this from the Hover museum guys,
so trying to make room to read.
Shame there are FEW small craft, although
they DO get a mention- its only that.

Ian Brooks

« Reply #125 on: Jan 01, 2019, 5:14 pm »
My neighbour was keen on a little run down the river and the  weather was good so I was keen to oblige!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Ian Brooks

« Reply #126 on: Feb 16, 2019, 5:51 pm »
Three rules:

If something changes with your hovercraft, find out why
Don't turn off your engine if you're in an exposed position
Only stop somewhere you can walk out of

Two broken!

Turn key : nothing. Sh*te!

Should have investigated why it was turning over slowly when I started. With tide coming in, the only saving grace was that I chose to stop on the bank rather than an isolated sand bar and the light failing.

It was about a 30 minute walk to the road, but I wouldn't be able to leave the craft until high tide about 7:00 so that will be in the dark :( so thats plan B. At least I did have a plan B - If I'd been on the sandbar it would have been mayday, much bigger craft get rolled over by the flood tide on these sandbars.

Plan A is fix it. Break out the tools, soon found the dead solenoid. I carry a spare but given the gathering darkness a spanner, some big blue flashes and loud cursing had it running again.

Phew! New solenoid in the morning.

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Nick Flint

« Reply #127 on: Feb 16, 2019, 6:37 pm »
Those loud blue flashes are most unnerving, as you "feel" its YOU being electrocuted, and NOT the spark to earth---
Ive cut myself whilst withdrawing my hand VERY fast in the past!  :-[

Ian Brooks

« Reply #128 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:57 pm »
Finally fixed it.  I put a new solenoid in, only to find the symptoms unchanged. Doubting my original diagnosis, I methodically went through the whole system with my meter, on to arrive back at the same diagnosis - defective solenoid. Which is of course brand new. Removing it from the circuit confirmed an open circuit coil 😥 Still, found another solenoid and it's all good now.

Also cranking much more energetically - this issue has been developing for some while. Ordered a replacement for the spare (carried on the craft) which I will bench test when it arrives!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK