« Reply #129 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:57 pm »

Finally fixed it.  I put a new solenoid in, only to find the symptoms unchanged. Doubting my original diagnosis, I methodically went through the whole system with my meter, on to arrive back at the same diagnosis - defective solenoid. Which is of course brand new. Removing it from the circuit confirmed an open circuit coil 😥 Still, found another solenoid and it's all good now.

Also cranking much more energetically - this issue has been developing for some while. Ordered a replacement for the spare (carried on the craft) which I will bench test when it arrives!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #128 on: Feb 16, 2019, 6:37 pm »

Those loud blue flashes are most unnerving, as you "feel" its YOU being electrocuted, and NOT the spark to earth---
Ive cut myself whilst withdrawing my hand VERY fast in the past!  :-[
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #127 on: Feb 16, 2019, 5:51 pm »

Three rules:

If something changes with your hovercraft, find out why
Don't turn off your engine if you're in an exposed position
Only stop somewhere you can walk out of

Two broken!

Turn key : nothing. Sh*te!

Should have investigated why it was turning over slowly when I started. With tide coming in, the only saving grace was that I chose to stop on the bank rather than an isolated sand bar and the light failing.

It was about a 30 minute walk to the road, but I wouldn't be able to leave the craft until high tide about 7:00 so that will be in the dark :( so thats plan B. At least I did have a plan B - If I'd been on the sandbar it would have been mayday, much bigger craft get rolled over by the flood tide on these sandbars.

Plan A is fix it. Break out the tools, soon found the dead solenoid. I carry a spare but given the gathering darkness a spanner, some big blue flashes and loud cursing had it running again.

Phew! New solenoid in the morning.

Ian

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #126 on: Jan 01, 2019, 5:14 pm »

My neighbour was keen on a little run down the river and the  weather was good so I was keen to oblige!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #125 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:00 am »

Looks well chilli!!!
Sorry couldn't get down for various - :-[

"soon" is the cry!

Was bought this from the Hover museum guys,
so trying to make room to read.
Shame there are FEW small craft, although
they DO get a mention- its only that.

« Reply #124 on: Dec 28, 2018, 5:51 pm »

Been very busy with the house since we moved in - the list of jobs is never ending - but found time for a Christmas Cruise. I couldn't really go boxing day, depite the good weather, as the tides have been pretty big bringing a 2* bore over the holiday. By today it was down to 8.2 m and the weather was good so off I went.

The plan was a trip down to Welhouse Bay opposite Sharpness for no other reason than its a good destination for a joy ride, and that was exactly what happened!

The weather was cold but calm under a leaden sky which slowly brightened up through the afternoon, so I got some nice pictures to share. There's something about the Severn, it always looks bluer and warmer in the photos!

View of Sharpness from Wellhouse Bay

Conditions were pretty good on the way back!

But it was a bit choppy in places where the tide is running over the submerged sandbars

Back home into the late afternoon sun

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2018, 6:24 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #123 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:43 pm »

Cunningly named mud FLAT was chosen to play/ practice touch and goes, goes around, comes around.
Can i draw the readers attention to my approach slide which displays a pleasant carved muddle groove from my still erect divider and bow curtain!
What a joy to behold.
Its easy on cruises to
Start
Cruise
Stop.
This mud flat away from all twitchers and houses allows us to practice. Repeating the same manouvre allows skills to be honed. Staying above hump whilst turning to return to land with various wind and wave levels all helps to build skills. Gentle curves on mud can only occur if attention is paid to the lift levels and mud / sand quality, to avoid tuck in due to low lift or mud stickiness

« Reply #122 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:21 pm »

Returning from a hot bridge cunningly named The Severn Bridge (I think)

Ian leaves a rainbow! :o

« Reply #121 on: Oct 24, 2018, 9:11 pm »

Even when i take the picture, i still keep talking through it all.

« Reply #120 on: Oct 24, 2018, 5:47 pm »

Thank you Ian for the invite and to all who turned up - a brilliant weekend on the river 8)
My photos are similar to those posted already so I won't duplicate ::)
I hadn't been hovering since Loch Fyne in the summer so was well overdue for a "fix".

« Reply #119 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:08 pm »

Back in the summer the local fete committee made their usual request for items or promises to raffle at the summer fete, and I offered a ride in a hovercraft on the river Severn. I did this last year too and it went down very well, eventually I took a very interesting 87yr old for a trip to the places of his youth, where his grandfather fished back in the day, when half the local economy was based on Salmon. This year Dave, a local farmer, won the prize so a day was set for the run. Since it looked promising, I decided to make a weekend of it, so Kim and Nick brought their craft along to the "hoverport" too. This was the most craft I have ever hosted and it did stretch the facilities to the maximum!

Saturday we took a trip out with Dave, down the river to see some of the usual sights. Interestingly, despite Dave owning land right on the riverside, he had never been out on the water. He absolutely loved it; the conversation soon moved to all the usual 'how much / how long' questions so I would not be surprised to see him appear on the club site - he would certainly be very welcome - and is likely to accompany me on further trips, after all if I have a spare seat, then why not?

The weather started out with thick, thick fog so it was late morning before we got set off into maybe 200m visibility - adequate, and we knew it was clearing as the sun was making its first tentative appearance in the haze. As we got past Awre the weather brightened into a superb day.

The trip took us right down to the Severn bridge and we planned lunch at the Old Ferry - which was the only downside of the day, as it was shut! Oh no! It's being refurbished, I do hope the new owner is as welcoming as the old of the occasional visit by slightly muddy hovernaughts!

Sunday saw the second set of visitors appear, including an 80 ye old gentleman who has had a long fascination with hovercraft, made models etc but never been in one. He was really keen, and managed to negotiate 'Jacobs Ladder' - it seemed to me that nothing would put him off his trip and we were very pleased to help :)

Just to add to the general air of chaos, new member Paul H (who is building a marlin) was invited as he's pretty local, plus a couple of Kims friends - so the garden was pretty full!

The forecast for Sunday was 5mph gusting 8 from the NW, pretty ideal conditions. Not exactly what we got though! We took another run down river, this time stopping at Hock Cliff for a little impromptu fossil hunting and a general enjoyment of this beautiful spot.

Next we went on down to visit Arkendale and Wastdale to pay our respects to the men who died in the Severn railway bridge disaster in the 60's.

The final leg of the trip was planned to be a trip round the Lydney channel, a lesser known alternative to the main ship channel on the English side of the river. I had noticed the freshening SW breeze whilst standing on Waveridge sands, and wondered about the accuracy of the forecast, but at about 15 mph we were still within safe limits so we continued. However, as we approached the narrowest point of the river locally between Sharpness and Wellhouse Rocks, the breeze strengthened. A few minutes later, and a call on the radio made the decision to abort the final leg into a no-brainer. Checking the Sharpness website later made it clear why - the breeze was peaking at 25knts (nearly 30mph) making things a bit uncomfortable. So we turned and started an early run back, not in the least disappointed as such a fantastic day had already been had.

Getting three craft in and out using the crane is not the smoothest operation in the world, but by now the crew were getting the hang of it so we had them all in and
Secure in no time. I felt sad at the end of a superb hover weekend but happy that so many people had such a great time. Roll on next time!

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #118 on: Oct 16, 2018, 10:37 pm »

All been a bit quiet on the Severn Cruising front recently, an omission I hope to rectify soon. The main reason was a slight modification I made to certain bones in my left shoulder/arm, all now fixed thankfully. Plus we've actually moved into the house (only took 3 years to renovate!) just in time for the winter cruising season to begin  ;) I like the winter, because we seem to get more calm settled conditions - less hot sun to drive onshore winds. Watch this space!

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2018, 11:26 am »

Deterioration soon sets in once the words leave my mouth.
Up to that point they are just fine------ :-[

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2018, 9:00 am »

Mr Flint said:-

Sitting in TOTAL DARKNESS chatting over the days events was memorable in extreme!
I trust it was also for the ever patient Ian

Mr Brooks said :-

Wasn't long before the beer supply was reconnected and "talking bo**ox" commenced for the rest of the evening!

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2018, 7:01 pm »

I like the very distinctive coloured headset :) ;) :)  EBay specials?