« Reply #54 on: Oct 24, 2016, 7:58 pm »

Ian  that looks to be a good run out for  the lads .
                                                                                                          Tom.

« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2016, 5:58 pm »

Fabulous, and very kind of you.
(or your son )?
I bet it was also really good fun. 8)
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #52 on: Oct 23, 2016, 11:17 pm »

If they've been introduced to the paraffin budgies they will be facilitating once qualified, even a noisy integrated craft with no silencer is quiet compared to them.

« Reply #51 on: Oct 23, 2016, 10:04 pm »

My son joined the RAF recently and during his training was "requested" to divvy up some lots for a charity auction. So naturally he sold me. Or rather my time and hovercraft! So this weekend I had a bunch of lads and lasses turned up to claim thier prizes.

In a first for my little Hoverport, I hosted a visiting craft - Bryan hovered up from Berkeley, about 20 miles. My first hover-in! I expect many more there are at least another 4 craft up and down the river and I have moorings!

Each of the 'winners' got a 2 1/2 hour run down to Sharpness and back via the Purton hulks and all the other sights on the river that were showing. Added to that a few more shorter joyrides for everyone else that fancied a go and the craft got about six or seven operating hours in a well over a hundred miles - probably 120 at a guess.

This was the now traditional sunset picture from the last run of the day

All in all a very successful day, everyone enjoyed themselves and my favourite comment was "I expected it to be noisy, I'm surprised how quiet it is" :)

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #50 on: Aug 29, 2016, 9:11 pm »

Took a little trip down to Hock Cliff for a cuppa.

Forgot the matches :(

Which wasn't the saddest thing during the run, I came across a dog. Someone will be fed up. It had obviously been in the water a while, I couldn't really tell what breed it was. Probably a Staffie.

But the day was lovely, bizarrely there were lots of people on various sandbars! Really! I've never seen it like that before. You do have to be 'in the know' to play in the sand on the Severn, as well as being a lovely day this was also a neap tide not due until after 6. So safe enough. Oh, and you have to know where the sand is, or more accurately, where the mud is not.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #49 on: Aug 15, 2016, 7:39 am »

Inspiring stuff.

« Reply #48 on: Aug 14, 2016, 10:46 pm »

Hello all!

The weather today was forecast to be excellent for hovering, and the tide was the perfect neap tide, so a decent run was definitely on the cards. Kingsley was also keen on a run out, he's needing a little inspiration to push him over the finish line with his Vanguard build - which was duly supplied! Today, hover inspiration was practically free!

Leaving Minsterworth around noon, the first stop was at the wrecks at Sharpness, I've been here many times but never been able to board them. Today the ideal conditions made it happen :)

You can clearly see where the falling bridge stantion almost cut one of the pair in two

Next stop was the Purton Hulks, time a little mooch around this bizarre ship graveyard.

Then it was off past Sharpness and heading out into open water down to the Severn Bridge at Beachely, for a swift pint at the Old Ferry - obviously!

With that done, we set off back chasing the rising tide. Now most of the sandbanks were submerged and we made a direct course at a good cruising speed, and we were catching up with the tide quickly! As we rounded the horseshoe bend, we overtook the tide, and suddenly we were back in the low tide again! Wierd!

All said, a great afternoon out, about 5 hours on-cushion on less than 20 litres of fuel covering well over 65 miles.

:D :D :D

Ian
O
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #47 on: Jul 19, 2016, 8:33 am »

While we were on the A370 outside Weston with a blown Defender engine :-(((((((((((((((((

« Reply #46 on: Jul 18, 2016, 11:33 pm »

Took the craft out for an hour after work. Amazing scenery in the sun!

The river has been pretty calm recently, much to my amazement I was able to see to the bottom in the shallow bits! What really amazed though, was all the fish!!! Who would ever have thought that there would be fish in that soupy muck? But it's teeming with them in the shallows!

I also took this slightly wierd shot. I'd like to say it was planned, but really it was an accident, see if you can work out what's going on?

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #45 on: Jun 26, 2016, 11:01 pm »

I needed an antidote to 'certain items in the news' so Sabrina was fuelled up and dropped into the river for a trip down to Sharpness, about 22 miles each way.

Petrol barges Arkendale and Wastdale lie in solemn testament to the Severn Rail Bridge disaster of 1960, when six men lost their lives in a flaming sea obscured by a thick fog which prevented rescue boats launching. Sends shivers down the spine.

It was pretty hairy round the side of the wrecks, with a torrent streaming off the Frampton Sands. Making a slow sub-hump pass to take photos was not for the faint hearted! I love this craft, she just takes this stuff in her stride.

Then onto Sharpness Docks just to say I'd been there!

Ian
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 12:49 am by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #44 on: Jun 12, 2016, 6:59 am »

Image result for what you talkin bout willis

martin

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2016, 10:21 pm »

your gona need a boat

« Reply #42 on: Jun 11, 2016, 9:09 pm »

I had to take a trip down the river today to meet one of my neighbours. It turns out he has a Vortex Mistral which he is keen to get on the water, so watch this space.

On the way back conditions were nice so I continued on pat Gloucester to the tidal limit at Maisemore

Three bridges, not the prettiest Victorian railway bridge in the foreground and the modern road bridge in the background.

Telford's bridge built in 1825, with a massive single stone span. Much prettier!

And the weir at Maisemore. I didn't over top it today, I have in the past and I have a healthy respect for it.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2016, 9:15 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #41 on: Apr 13, 2016, 11:01 pm »

Ian
When the weather broke you should have stopped at the Old Passage my favourite place on the Severn

« Reply #40 on: Apr 13, 2016, 10:53 pm »

Nathan and I took a little trip out. Found some weather out there !

http://youtu.be/vIVDbYDKte0
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK