« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2016, 9:24 pm »

I wonder if that picture was blurry because the camera was presumably cold? It look really chilling. Prraps because it was?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #68 on: Dec 30, 2016, 7:08 pm »

Nice pictures Ian And A great  cruise .

« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2016, 9:46 am »

Love the picture you refer to as "blurry" - makes for a superb atmospheric image....

« Reply #66 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:05 pm »

Hi Ian, interesting stuff! There was one of the "Coast" type programmes on TV a few weeks ago which covered the tragedy of the fuel and oil barges colliding with the Railway Bridge, I hadn't realised there was a rail bridge there!!!

« Reply #65 on: Dec 28, 2016, 9:37 pm »

Managed to break away from the mince pies and take advantage of the superb weather yesterday. It was 2C so a bit cool - but no issue with a decent float suit on and hiding behind the windscreen!

I recently bought a 1940s book on the Severn, eBay special for a couple of quid, which describes the fishing communities of the time. It described thriving fishing villages where now there is almost nothing, so I decided to go looking for them.

Leaving Minsterworth in ideal conditions

On the way

First stop was the Milkmaid Rocks just upstream of Gatcombe. Back then, every turn, twist and rock of this river had names. I'm researching this as far as I can, but I'm pretty sure that most of the names died with the men who worked here. As I find out more, I'm adding them to www.openstreetmap.org - you can look up the Severn and see what I've got so far. Gatcombe supported a community who made a living in the fish wiers and stop net boats of the time.

A fish weir

A mile further down river is Purton, not where the Hulks are but the 'other' Purton on the west bank. Theres still a huge well built slipway here, remarkable to see given the lack of activity in the area now

A stopnet boat in action - the last one, restored by an enthusiast

Next stop was the railway bridge (west end). The photo is a bit blurry, I had an near miss with some quicksand! Should have been more careful, it just shows you need to be on your toes. Of not, in the case of quicksand, if you get caught, flop down onto your knees (or even spreadeagle) as fast as you can, then you don't sink and can waddle out. Muddier, but out!

And finally, the view from Wellhouse Rocks. Nice.

I finished the trip in Wellhouse Bay, looking for Jacobs Ladder, which runs up the cliff to a fish house. I think I found it, but not enought time to investigate properly, so thats for another time.

Al in all a great run in perfect conditions. We definitiely get better hovering conditions in the winter than the summer.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 10:39 pm by Ian Brooks »
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #64 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:10 pm »

I'll accept the Vanguard assisting John rowing his tiny Prospector in the wind and waves as validation that it was helpful at the time  :) :)
Yep - certainly better than getting out and pushing  ;) .  Hovercraft towing hovercraft never seems to work very well - I've tried plenty times and if you can get to 3mph you are lucky (and then there is the steering issue which makes the whole thing pretty difficult or impossible).  We probably need to try and develop a reliable method for doing this on safety grounds - I suspect pushing instead of pulling might fix the steering issues (big bumper cushion required!).

« Reply #63 on: Oct 25, 2016, 10:28 pm »

It'll do about 2mph maybe 3. Directional control is a bit tricky too, needs a rudder really. It's not going to get me home against the current, but in my case will get me to the nearest downstream slipway thus avoiding an embarrassing call to the coastguard! I have an ultra cheap/light Chinese outboard - more of a strimmer with a prop!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

« Reply #62 on: Oct 25, 2016, 6:55 pm »

I'll accept the Vanguard assisting John rowing his tiny Prospector in the wind and waves as validation that it was helpful at the time  :)  :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #61 on: Oct 25, 2016, 5:58 pm »

As an idea it sounds good ... but the reality doesn't match up to the expectations.  Unless it's dead calm with no wind (<5mph) or tide you've got no chance of making any noticeable headway (petrol or electric, skirt tied up or not - I tested all of the combinations - best speed was 2.5mph in some random direction chosen by the wind and/or tide!).  Probably better to spend the outboard money on making sure your engine is reliable?

Steve's craft did tow my Prospector but only just (2mph terminal velocity sideways to the wind) - it required some assistance from oars!).  Luckily it was only to get around the corner 20 metres away so I could swap the pump without the craft being bumped and ground against the rocks (why do problems always happens at some dodgy spot?).

« Reply #60 on: Oct 25, 2016, 11:14 am »

Big problem is the drag....dead in the water hovercraft equals water parachute. In saying that my vanguard managed to pull Johns prospector to safer water when his fuel pump decided to play dead. It wasn't easy, john's windscreen came in handy to prevent a soaking!!

I have a 3.5hp Mercury that I tried to use on the Vanguard Starboard side some years ago. The motor location didn't work but the outboard managed to push a 14ft craft sideways at 3 mph so pushing it forward with the skirt tabbed up to the hull should give a small amount more. No keel means drifting is inevitable
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

« Reply #59 on: Oct 25, 2016, 9:47 am »

What engine size is it please, and are the wooden add ons only placed when needed?
I presume you sit next to it at the back to steer---?
I always delight in an alternative "way to get back". (The bank or the beach)
Perhaps an electric outboard could be utilised as a get safe manoeuvre?, even at the front to make steering a little easier?
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

« Reply #58 on: Oct 24, 2016, 10:38 pm »

Thx  ... :-)

« Reply #57 on: Oct 24, 2016, 9:15 pm »

Craft was designed to fit one:

« Reply #56 on: Oct 24, 2016, 8:20 pm »

How did you fit the aux motor ?

« Reply #55 on: Oct 24, 2016, 8:11 pm »

A good run out for the craft too, with two strapping lads and me on each trip, plus 45 litres fuel, aux engine, tools, spares and general tat we were up to the 325kg maximum load and it still jumped over hump with a very pleasing rush.  :D I did need a few more revs than normal to be fair!
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK