Ian Brooks

Severn Cruising
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 4:30 pm »
There was a brief window of better weather this week,  and I was owed a couple of hours so I slipped Sabrina over the bank for quick late afternoon run. Just to the other side of Epney, about a 12 mile round trip all told. I was tempted by the Anchor but I was losing the light so made the 'sensible' choice instead  ::)

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Jimmy Cooper

Re: Severn Cruising
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 7:29 am »
"I was owed a couple of hours so I slipped Sabrina over the bank for".........................................
Thought that was going to be an "interesting tale" of you and your secretary!!!
LOL
A BHC Marlin and Vortex Sirocco Man

Nick Flint

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 7:53 am »
THAT kind of "monkey business" doesnt last a couple of hours so NO confusion here im glad to say. 🙄
Has anyone else noticed that ususally the "sensible" thing to do means stop the fun and return to base. !😏
This also can be applied in many tracts of the human experience, and only personal histories can decide which way to view the words🤔
Lovely wintrous pictures Mr Brookes. I bet it was chillie around your clarts. I presume you had a vest on?
I am considering purchasing some Fagin mittens mainly to help with my drone operations which will allow some sensory finger feed back whilst maintaining a certain degree of digital cosiness. Perhaps some dinghy racing water shedding ones may be best, which will be used up Loch Fyne as aircooled engines afford no heaters! 🌨☃🌬☔️💨❄️⛈
Porthmadog they will protect from sand blasting.🌬🌪🦀
Memories are BETTER than Dreams---"Capn" FLINT

Ian Brooks

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2016, 9:16 pm »
It was cold and grey today but light winds made it a hover-day. I had a bit more time so took Sabrina out as far as Hock Cliff (about 15 miles) before the gathering rain clouds persuaded me it was time to head back, about a 30 mile round trip.

I got the camera out on the way back so here's a few of the 'sights' !

Bullo Pill, there's a boat yard here although nothing ever seems to come out. I presume that boats are scrapped here.

Leaving Bullo Pill. Incidentally, 'pill' is the local name for the mouth of a stream that enters the Severn

The other boatyard at Collow Pill, about a mile from Bullo Pill. That's Newnham in the background.

Strangely there's a lightship moored in Collow Pill!

No more pictures after this as the rain started so I hunkered down behind the windscreen. Nice.

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

rossfloyd

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2016, 9:32 pm »
Did you see Freshspring at Newnham ?

Ian Brooks

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 9:51 pm »
She's at Bullo

What's the story of he lightship at Collow?

Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

rossfloyd

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 9:58 pm »
Freshspring may be going to Devon soon for restoration.  I don't have any info on the light vessel.

I'm now highly frustrated having seen those pics but I'm grounded at present for 3rd party 'medical reasons' :-(

Ian Brooks

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:04 pm »
Once things normalise let me know. I tend to go out at short notice when the weather is good, and I'm susceptible to persuasion anytime its decent. Which goes for anyone with a quiet, seaworthy craft weighing less than 400kg with lifting points.
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

rossfloyd

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:16 pm »
Thanks - Britannia is a bit over 400 kgs but Cambria is OK - although she is up for sale :-(

gavin parson

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2016, 7:00 am »
Once the days are long enough, I like to go out at 6am on a weekend. Get a couple of hours cruising in then pick up some fresh bread or croissants on the way home for the family. Everyone's happy  ;D

tomtilley

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2016, 9:13 am »
Once the days are long enough, I like to go out at 6am on a weekend. Get a couple of hours cruising in then pick up some fresh bread or croissants on the way home for the family. Everyone's happy  ;D

Good  thinking  Gavin.

dean finnigan

« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2016, 1:46 pm »
was at the old passage opp Newnham yesterday for Mothering Sunday Lunch   River Severn flat calm though might have seen you glide past Ian
saw lightship there on 1st dec last year but think it was there b/4 that

Ian Brooks

« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:49 pm »
Apparently it's the one from Cardiff. Supposedly its going to be a floating museum...
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

gavin parson

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016, 6:02 am »
We have quite a few lightships on the Medway. One has been converted to apartments you can rent and another is an arts and party venue.

rossfloyd