implanecrazy

« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 6:08 pm »

They are hard to tell apart. The Shag is daintier. I found this summary of the key differences.

'So in summery a lightly built bird with the highest part of the head above  the eye is a Shag, a heavily built bird with the highest part of the head at the back is a Great Cormorant.'

Good to see you've managed to get out Al and in such a beautiful place with the family on board. The cold is a pain sometimes but is worth enduring, the next build I do is going to have a hood and sides for those chilly days.

Cheers

Steve

Yes I shall be building something with a cabin & heater next.  Most likely the Sevtec Explorer  ;D .  I need to learn to fly the surveyor properly first though.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2011, 6:03 pm »

They are hard to tell apart. The Shag is daintier. I found this summary of the key differences.

'So in summery a lightly built bird with the highest part of the head above  the eye is a Shag, a heavily built bird with the highest part of the head at the back is a Great Cormorant.'

Good to see you've managed to get out Al and in such a beautiful place with the family on board. The cold is a pain sometimes but is worth enduring, the next build I do is going to have a hood and sides for those chilly days.

Cheers

Steve
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2011, 5:49 pm »

I can imagine bird watchers saying that they are going out to see if they can find a sh*g ??? ;D

Don't worry about the twitchers... I have been looking for that for years now......

Sorry to lower the tone, but you started it!!!

Glad you had a good time out.

B.

implanecrazy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2011, 5:20 pm »

Just had another look & I think they are called Shags not shagmeds.  Anyway here is a link: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/news-cannabirds.html#cr

If its not these birds they certainly looked very similar. 

I can imagine bird watchers saying that they are going out to see if they can find a sh*g ??? ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 5:24 pm by Al »

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 4:41 pm »

I have just found out what the big birds were called we saw perched on the buoys.  They are called shagmeds ??? .  I wonder who came up with that name?

Had to look that up on Google, no such bird, but a lot of things medical related.... Are you sure the name is correct?

Not a bird lover, but had to look anyway....

B.

implanecrazy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 4:17 pm »

I have just found out what the big birds were called we saw perched on the buoys.  They are called shagmeds ??? .  I wonder who came up with that name?

implanecrazy

« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 3:42 pm »

;D Had a hover fix ;D 8) 

New years day 2011, the wind was approx 3 MPH, temp 1*c slightly overcast, but almost ideal conditions to go out to play ;D .

I was unable to use my normal launch site in Lochcarron as the Council offices were shut for the holidays and they have the key to unlock the barrier that is in place to stop the pikies and tourists setting up camp in the car par in front of the Murray Square slipway.  The only other alternative was the narrow dirt track leading down to the beach next to the Lochcarron golf club.  I wasn't even sure if I could get down there with my trailer as the road at right angles to the track is not very wide :( .  Becky guided me back and I managed to reverse down the track easier than I thought it would be. 

It was low tide and the water was approx 200 mtrs from the launch site :( .  If that wasn't bad enough there were loads of large rocks that had to be negotiated between the launch site and the water :(  The beach also sloped down towards the water.  I started up Taimah May unloaded her from the trailer and left her idling while I walked the beach to work out my route to the water.  The only route was across the camber of the slope, for a 100 mtrs or so, then a 150* turn then it was reasonably clear of rocks to the water :) .  The three of us got on-board Taimah May and we set off  on our journey across the camber of the sloping beach.  I had my fingers crossed at this point as I hadn't flown Taimah May for about three months so I was very rusty at the controls.   Pleased to say I made it through the rocky maize and we were soon flying across the water ;D   

I decide to follow the shoreline down the loch staying about 100 mtrs away from the shore.  There was a small group of people walking on the beach near the primary school that gave us a wave, I gave them a blast of Taimah Mays horns as we continued west on the loch.  We soon noticed a caravanette following us along the road through Lochcarron.  We were only doing about 15 knts at this point and the caravanette had slowed up to about our pace.  I decided to pull up on the beach at Murray Square to check the tension of the drive belts as the hover hadn't been used for months.  The belts were ok so we headed back out onto the water, Becky decided that she needed a pee, so I headed over to what is known locally as Slumbay Island "which isn't even an island" ??? .  I didn't go completely ashore here and left three parts of Taimah may floating.  Anyway Becky found a bush to water ::) while I took a couple of photos  " not of Becky, but the scenery" ??? ;D .

We were already getting very cold, so rather than head on down the loch towards Plockton, I decided to head back to where we had launched from.  Becky has not been well for several weeks and had a small operation a month ago, so pointless getting colder than we need to.  A quick fly around the harbour at Slumbay then we headed back up the loch.  There were two large black birds perched on top of two buoys, I have no idea what they were, but will check them out on the internet.  Anyway we got within 30 mtrs of them and they didn't move.  I think that says a great deal about how much noise pollution Taimah May makes. :)  We headed on towards the launch site this time when we were nearing the primary school again we noticed a collie on the beach that thought it would be fun to chase us.  I pointed the hover out towards the middle of the loch but still maintaining a course for the top of the loch where we launched from.  The collie was still following along the shore, its owner nowhere in sight.  Eventually the collie gave up but at least it had plenty of exercise ::) .

We were back to the area where we launched from, I now had to find a route back through the rocks to the trailer. This time the beach was up hill towards the trailer ??? :(  I kept my speed down negotiating my way back to the trailer as the rocks were difficult to see, as they were covered in sea weed and muscles.  I managed to find a way through the rocks without hitting any ;D .  I got within 5 mtrs of the trailer before the craft would not go any further up the slope.  Becky & I got out and I left Brandon in charge of the throttle & steering as we pulled Taimah May the last few metres to the trailer.  She pulled very easy with help from the thrust prop.  She was soon loaded back on the trailer and we noticed someone at the golf club taking photos of Taimah May.  We were all very cold by now, so I'm glad we headed back rather than continue further down the loch, as I think the cold would have eventually spoilt our trip.  As it was we had a short but nice trip out on the loch which we all enjoyed.

It was nice to start the new year off having fun doing what we like doing, "long may it continue" ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 6:23 pm by Al »