« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:34 pm »

Got it now Al
when in doubt walk it out before drive into the unknown with a 4x4  ;)
Hope you have a great trip

Trev

kevthehover

« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:59 pm »

Al,

Looks a really nice place wished i was up there! have a great day.

Kev

implanecrazy

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:06 pm »

Coordinates are:
57* 24' 50.67''N
5* 28' 24.96''W

Got them from google earth.

The Golf course is on the A896 heading west into the village from Strathcarron.

Google maps give a good street view of the track.  There is more room for maneuvering heading west into the village, so I shall have to turn around to make my life a bit easier.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2010, 9:43 pm »

I personally would just reverse down the road if its 18 feet wide there shouldn't be no problem, I cant see where the golf club is, is it on the way into the village or the way out heading for Stromemore

implanecrazy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2010, 7:04 pm »

Hoperfully in a few hours I shall be out on the water onboard Taimah May :) 8) .  I'm just hoping that I'm not out all night, as I don't finish my shift until 09:00 tomorrow.

Weather looking favourable tomorrow, maybe overcast, but under 5mph winds forecasted, & temperature around 5*C, so not too cold either ;D

I am having to launch from a different place tomorrow as the council office is shut, so I am unable to get the key for the barrier that is across the car park at the slipway that I normally use :(   I just hope I can reverse the trailer down the track next to the Lochcarron golf club that leads onto the beach, as the road there is narrower than what my trailer is in length.  Road approx 18 foot wide, 4 X 4 and trailer around 42 ft long ??? .  Have had a look on google maps and I think its doable.

atters

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 9:57 am »

Hover withdrawal? You try opening the workshop door and there's nothing there!

I'm not sure when I'll be able to start building again but I need to satisfy the urge before too long!

here here  :'(

gavinparson

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 8:48 am »

Hover withdrawal? You try opening the workshop door and there's nothing there!

All those snow covered fields, the deserted river, they're all beckoning me.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to start building again but I need to satisfy the urge before too long!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 8:49 pm »

Hi

I used blocks under the rear and a stick under the front. Initially done on the trailer (which is flat) using the winch to hold the nose down to the stick.

The rear will look down a little when stationary as the thrust component is taken into account in in the trim calculations - it tends to lift the stern.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

implanecrazy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 8:03 pm »

Thats pretty much how my craft reacts.  Mine always looks low at the rear end though when it is out on the water.  Probably how it is meant to be.

Ian, which method did you use to trim your skirt? Blocks under hull or stick under the bow?

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2010, 7:57 pm »

Surly the extra "weight" is classed a ballast and is par for the course?

When I used to fly full size, I mostly had 3 passengers, so had to do the weight/balance calculations and then decide who could sit in the front with me and how much fuel I had to drain from the tanks in order to fly!

As far as I could tell, with very rough calculations, my craft seemed to work better with me in the front and 2x20L full Jerry cans just behind me, otherwise I got spray coming up over the front, not a lot, but there anyway.

This was at Lock Fyne which is where I wanted to test this out properly, but the bearings decided to go south so ended my fun!

The ideal would be moveable fuel tank(s)

There's two sides to the trim equation...

The first is the obvioius one - wieght distribution, and everyone is familiar with moving kit around to obtain better trim. This is the way that all single-cushion compartment craft are trimmed.

The second is cushion pressure distribution. When a partition skirt is used, the cushion pressure may be varied fore & aft, as a means to control the trim. With a little ingenuity, this pressure can be varied automatically.

The Sev has a skirt partition, which is designed to reduce the cushion pressure in the front partition in response to craft trim - if weight moves back and the craft nose goes up, the front compartment pressure drops, acting to re-trim the cushion for the new wieght distribution. This works because the front compartment is fed from the aft compartment via the partition air-gap. If the nose rises, more air as able to escape from the front curtain but cannot be replenished from the rear due to the partition, so the pressure falls and trim is restored.

A very similar principle is used for Bryan's skirt divider, although the air is supplied by the plenum rather than the rear compartment.

The Sev system relies on trimming the two curtain skirts correctly, and on the fact that the front curtain is larger than the divider (it is this that makes the pressure fall when the nose rises).

The Sev system has a given range of adjustment that can be accomplished. It is designed to cope with the "normal" variation in payload. It has to be set up initially by trimming the relative lengths of the divider and fron curtain - and this usually takes a while to get right for the first timer. Get it wrong and the skirt can drag, reducing top speed, or the whole craft can go unstable and repeatedly bob up & down (called 'porpoising'). Ironically, my first skirt was right at first cut, whilst it took me several trims (and a little assistance from John) to get the second right.

When properly trimmed, an empty Sev will trim with the front curtain airgap about 6" or more (nose well up). When you grab the bow and force it down, initially it is easy to do so, but when the curtain gets about 1" from the floor, it suddenly goes very stiff - it feels like it just went solid. This point should be very distinct, and tells you the automatic trim system is working well. Adding the pilot to the craft should bring the craft down to the "stiff" point, and it should be pretty insensitive to quite large changes of trim. My craft flies just the same whether its me or Nathan at the helm.

Ian
Ian Brooks
Gloucester, UK

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2010, 6:57 pm »

Brian, A standard rescue craft with all the bells and whistles weighed in at 550 kg.

Kip

Hi Kip Sir, thanks for that, do not forget I now have a K100 in the back and a fat git in the front!

One thing that does concern me is, the craft underwent some sort of refurbish whilst in Scotland, but now I have it on its side, all I can see are bodges! There seems to be a lot of splits just about covered with glass that I managed to just pull off! I just wonder how much extra weight has been added by non professional work, shall we say...

I am waiting for better weather so I can get back over to the barn to have a better gander in the light.

B.

implanecrazy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2010, 6:44 pm »

Have you checked the C of G of Taimah May, I know I asked before, is it close to what Barry specifies. I am also very curious about the weight balance, pity you didn't have four scales :) . I remember when I was on her and moved front to back which didn't affect the performance at all. Doing this on my craft affects the forward speed by a few miles per hour. It's just a shame to have to carry extra weight to cure a problem!!!!!! Was the partition skirt located for a single or twin engine set up?

Cheers

The C of G was a few inches back from what was on the plan, but I altered the fanguard since then, so not sure if its still a few inches behind where it should be.  At the end of the day it flies OK as is, but just want to play about to see if I can improve the hover of the craft.

I can't remember about the partition skirt.  It certainly cant go any further forward, so assume it is correct.  Today while I had her running By pushing down on the front a little made a big difference to the way she hovered at around 2000 rpm.  I know the craft was static & no passengers up front, so that will make a difference.  When trimming the skirt, I had ballast in the craft where I would be stood normally And still had a hard job to keep the front down to the correct height to mark the skirt.  There is alot of air coming out the front of the craft, but I don't get any spray from the front while on the water.

Cromarty Firth would be good, maybe a nice day February time, Nessie maybe able to meet up with us also as that is quite close to him I think.

Brian I'm not sure if I need permission to fly on Loch ness.  I assume not as there are boats the whole length of the loch & it is about 60 miles long.  I know people that just launch their boats onto the loch with out any permission.  Maybe nessie can shed a bit of light on that one as he live near the loch.  I ought to check, as the last thing I want to do is cause a load of grief for the hovercraft owners in the UK.

I shall probably launch on Loch Carron this weekend, then head off around to Loch Kishorn, then maybe if I'm feeling brave head out to Rassay or Applecross, but this will depend on time & weather.

Kip

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2010, 6:13 pm »

Brian, A standard rescue craft with all the bells and whistles weighed in at 550 kg.

Kip

Brian.G.Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2010, 6:06 pm »

Surly the extra "weight" is classed a ballast and is par for the course?

When I used to fly full size, I mostly had 3 passengers, so had to do the weight/balance calculations and then decide who could sit in the front with me and how much fuel I had to drain from the tanks in order to fly!

As far as I could tell, with very rough calculations, my craft seemed to work better with me in the front and 2x20L full Jerry cans just behind me, otherwise I got spray coming up over the front, not a lot, but there anyway.

This was at Lock Fyne which is where I wanted to test this out properly, but the bearings decided to go south so ended my fun!

The ideal would be moveable fuel tank(s) as this is weight you have to have, and on your type of craft it is mostly still there when you finish the cruise :-)))))))

It will be interesting to see how much "ballast" you need to trim the craft.

I am also very interested to see how much my craft weighs when I eventually get all the bits back into the same location in the craft!

If you do get out Al, take it easy,

Be good,

B.

P.S, Al, can you just go onto Loch Ness without permission? I assume it is not the same as this country?

P.P.S, do you have any links to any suitable weighing machines that do not cost the earth! I assume my craft will be around 600Kg's therefore do I need scales that can read 600/4 = 150Kg each or maybe 2 larger scales for the rear?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2010, 5:36 pm »

Hi Al, I have severe hover withdrawal but can't get out for a while. The craft needs a test run (and possibly another coil) after fitting the belt guard and the farmer has pushed the biggest pile of snow in front of the workshop, I mean BIG. Even with the melting it's going to take a lot of digging to get the thing out. We could possibly shortlist the Cromarty Firth if for a future hovermeet. I can't get out to the workshop until Wednesday so not sure about this time much as I would love to.

Have you checked the C of G of Taimah May, I know I asked before, is it close to what Barry specifies. I am also very curious about the weight balance, pity you didn't have four scales :) . I remember when I was on her and moved front to back which didn't affect the performance at all. Doing this on my craft affects the forward speed by a few miles per hour. It's just a shame to have to carry extra weight to cure a problem!!!!!! Was the partition skirt located for a single or twin engine set up?

Cheers
There's no such thing as bad weather, you're just wearing the wrong jacket!!